no polyp extention ever in some corals

tbub1221

Reaction score
I have noticed as of late that some but not all of my sps coral NEVER extend there polyps , even though there exhibiting growth. The 2 pieces I don't see it on are an ora orange monti cap and a tri color valida acro .
Neither of them are close to any stinging neighbors either.
I have other types of monti and a few birds nest all doing great there polyps extend quite well regularly and flap about a little so flow is no issue.
These corals are growing slow and steady like they should and iv had them both since early September the cap is white rimmed I know there growing.
My parameters as of this evening (only mag and cal vary slightly , I dose them as needed every 2-3 days) ,nitrates 5 , p04 0.02 , ph 8.2 , Alk/DKH 9.8 , cal 420 , mag 1140 . These results from red sea test kits and seachem p04 . My dalinity is 35 ppt or 1.026 sg. Running gfo and carbon in nano reactor
I have read that its typical for many sps , acro's in particular to only show PE during late hours due to nippy sea creatures in the wild , but I have not noticed this for my self under my moon lighting or complete darkness and I do regularly look atleast 3-5 times a week during the wee hours of the am.

I received a piece of green monti cap today to fuse with my orange from a member and almost as soon as it was finished dripping and in the tank it had huge PE and that's What got me thinking about this today.

What does it meen if anything , and how should I go about correcting it .

I'm keeping a mixed reef with a little of everything including a few small leather corals and I had read where the leathers can secrete something that may make stony corals aggravated could it be related ? And wile on this subject , should I loos the leathers and strive for a more sps dedicated tank since that's where my interest are drawn ?
I like a little of everything it looks more natural to me although many of my coral would not be found in the wild beside one another.
It seems the coral that like less flow and less than pristine water aren't growing much anymore as my water quality improves. Iv tried several mushrooms and Ricordia at different locations with very little luck even with spot feeding
Thanks in advance for any inputs on any of this.

i think your magnesium is a little low. you want to keep it in the 1300-1400 range but i dont know if that would cause the lack of pe. my green slimer does the same thing. no pe but slow steady growth.

my monti's always have pe..my acro's and milli's seem to come out more in the early morning hours before the light comes on..growth and coloration are good on them..

grouper therapy;913287 wrote: What fish do you have ? Any pygmy or dwarf angels?

No Angels , just clown , fire fish , wrasse and spotted blenny.
The blenny will pick algae occasionally but doesn't bother anything coral wise.

As for the magnesium lvl , that was my pree doseing , I gave it 2ml and it put it up there closer to 1280-1320, I do it every 2 days its consistent in its use. I could probably up my dose some but I found something that worked and hadn't wanted to tamper with it much. I'll try another 1/2ml thanks.

Tbub1221;913339 wrote: No Angels , just clown , fire fish , wrasse and spotted blenny.
The blenny will pick algae occasionally but doesn't bother anything coral wise.

As for the magnesium lvl , that was my pree doseing , I gave it 2ml and it put it up there closer to 1280-1320, I do it every 2 days its consistent in its use. I could probably up my dose some but I found something that worked and hadn't wanted to tamper with it much. I'll try another 1/2ml thanks.
well that shoots my theory down:)

I don't guess it really means anything solong as the coral grows out ok. Apparently its needs are being met one way or another.

it may also depend on how long you've had them and if they've acclimated to your lighting if it differed from the place you got them from..seems like mine have come out more the longer ive had them..it took them a while to come out at all..

Depending on the exact piece of SPS PE can depend on a number of variables. Lighting, flow, and nutrient levels are huge factors.
PE doesn't necessarily mean good or bad. It's just what we LIKE to see. IME SPS will draw PE in with one or combination of the following
High Nutrients
Very high flow
Very high PAR

Back