Noisy Pump Question?

budsreef

Market
Reaction score
I bought a used Iwaki WMD 40RLXT to use with my RO/DI set up and turned it on the other night for the first time. It has not been used for several months prior to now. When I turned it on it made a very loud screaming noise as it started up, but then it turned quiet. I tried several times turning it off and then back on and it made the noise each time. Is this normal? If I take the front cover off to make sure there is no obstruction will I be able to put it back together without it leaking? Any help here would be appreciated.

Barbara;200456 wrote: Seems strange to me, although I have very little experience. I also purchased a used one; a 55(don't remember the letters, but it's a pressure rated pump). Anyway, it's quiet as a mouse on start up. My guess is that your pump either needs cleaning, or might not be put together right. Can you take it apart, check the assemby and put it back together?

Thanks Barbara, that's what I'll do. I'm just a little worried that since it hasn't been run for so long the seal may not be good when I put it back together. Luckily, I'm just going to use it to move RO/DI and new saltwater to the sump so it isn't critical if I have it off line for a bit.

Sounds like a potential bearing or calcium buildup problem. I had an issue with my blueline pump when I bought it. I pulled the pump apart, cleaned all the buildup off and replaced the bearings and it works great now. I also replaced the o-ring as well since the old one was pretty worn. I know it's not the exact same pump but it shouldn't be too hard to pull apart and put back together, just a few screws.

As someone mentioned, it's probably calcium buildup. Hard to spot on the Iwaki's since the impeller and front housing are white. After unscrewing the front housing and removing the impeller and spindle, turn on the pump. If there's no noise, it's almost certainly calcium buildup. If there's still noise, you may have dust in the motor or the motor brushes are wearing.

You should disassemble the pump and soak the impeller, spindle, and front housing in vinegar and wash out the part attached to the pump (being careful not to get water in the pump).

Barbara;200460 wrote: Bud, if it comes apart anything like the 55, then it won't be too complicated. If I remember correctly, only 3 things came apart. You've got to take out the six or eight little screws to get to the motor assembly. You'll see a little O ring in there. When I took mine apart, I saw the O ring, and it was old, but it wasn't dried out.

Are you sure it's an RLXT? And not just an RLT? Heres the schematic for those pumps.
http://www.marineandreef.com/v/vspfiles/pdf/WMD3040.pdf">http://www.marineandreef.com/v/vspfiles/pdf/WMD3040.pdf</a>

Either way, check this site out to read about your new pump. I printed off the schematics and also the general info about my pump when I purchased. (Since they're used, you probably didn't get any paperwork?)
[IMG]http://www.marineandreef.com/Iwaki_Motor_Drive_Pumps_RLT_RLXT_WMD_MD_Aquarium_s/388.htm">http://www.marineandreef.com/Iwaki_Motor_Drive_Pumps_RLT_RLXT_WMD_MD_Aquarium_s/388.htm</a>

I love the marineand reef site. They have so many good tutorials about all the equipment. I read this site front to back (so to speak!) when I was first learning about SW care.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'm sure it is RLXT based on the plate on the pump. The X means it is a high pressure impeller. I took it apart and cleaned it now I need to put it back together and connect it back up.

Zapped82;200468 wrote: Sounds like a potential bearing or calcium buildup problem. I had an issue with my blueline pump when I bought it. I pulled the pump apart, cleaned all the buildup off and replaced the bearings and it works great now. I also replaced the o-ring as well since the old one was pretty worn. I know it's not the exact same pump but it shouldn't be too hard to pull apart and put back together, just a few screws.

George;200480 wrote: As someone mentioned, it's probably calcium buildup. Hard to spot on the Iwaki's since the impeller and front housing are white. After unscrewing the front housing and removing the impeller and spindle, turn on the pump. If there's no noise, it's almost certainly calcium buildup. If there's still noise, you may have dust in the motor or the motor brushes are wearing.

You should disassemble the pump and soak the impeller, spindle, and front housing in vinegar and wash out the part attached to the pump (being careful not to get water in the pump).

Thanks for the inputs. I took it apart and there was a lot of calcium on all the parts, so I cleaned it really well before putting it back together. I did turn it on with out the impeller housing and it sounded a little rough starting up but didn't make the screaming noise. Hopefully, it will be ok once I get it plumbed back in.

If it's one of the older Iwaki models (say more than 5 years old), there are cooling vents on the back that can and will get a little exposure to rust. Nothing to be done about that really other than keep it as dry as possible. However it does benefit from a good blasting from compressed air to get dust out.

It still makes some noise on start up but not as bad as it was. Unfortunately, one of the threaded joints has a leak that no amount of teflon paste will stop so I'm going to coat the threads with silicone and let it cure overnight before trying to run water through it again.

I don't know how old it is, but I think I have a can of air here somewhere that I'll try to use on the backside when I find it.

George;200544 wrote: If it's one of the older Iwaki models (say more than 5 years old), there are cooling vents on the back that can and will get a little exposure to rust. Nothing to be done about that really other than keep it as dry as possible. However it does benefit from a good blasting from compressed air to get dust out.

Back