Noopsyche experiences

Dmac

Market
Reaction score
Alrighty guys and gals. I know a few of your are using these lights. I'm seriously considering switching over but would like to hear some of your positive stories. Ideally, I'm looking for some with a tank size around a 120 mixed reef.

All of my tanks are running the V2s and I like them. Its difficult for me to compare because its really the only light that I've ever used.

I think I remember seeing your tanks. My only concern is with the mounting heights and how many I would need for 120 gallon mixed reef. I could only mount them about 8 inches 9ff the water and I'm assuming the spread isn't as good as my kessils. I guess I could always pair them up with my orpheks.

I think I remember seeing your tanks. My only concern is with the mounting heights and how many I would need for 120 gallon mixed reef. I could only mount them about 8 inches 9ff the water and I'm assuming the spread isn't as good as my kessils. I guess I could always pair them up with my orpheks.

You'd probably need 4. 2 on each side of the support.

I was thinking about them for my tank but I was going to need 10-12 to get the coverage I wanted.

V3 has changed that old way of thinking going to the 140 watts, for a standard 120, you would need a max of 3. Even at 8 or 9" off the water, you won't have any issues at all with spread. Adding the orpheks would make them even better, not required, but another color spectrum is always fun to add, if you already own them and didn't have to buy them, I would add them. I run Reef Brites and I run OR3's with my V2 noops.

Plus, you are a supporting member so you will get 10% off, I know the Noop guy, he is awesome ;)!

I figured you would chime in at some point, LOL. Do you think I would be able to fit your hybrid in my canopy?

Last edited:
I figured you would chime in at some point, LOL. Do you think I would be able to fit your hybrid in my canopy?
I waited as long as I could lol.

46.34″ x 22.72″ is the exact size of the 48", then we have the foldable wings to help you direct the light into the tank and not outside of the tank.

Is making a rectangular box a few inches wide out of wood to sit on top of the tank and raise the canopy be an option for you? Just trying to think of ways to give you a little more room.

I waited as long as I could lol.

46.34″ x 22.72″ is the exact size of the 48", then we have the foldable wings to help you direct the light into the tank and not outside of the tank.
With 3 v3's, would the cross bar support of the tank create a lot of shadowing? That's why I thought 2 over each opening would give more uniform coverage.
4 fixtures would also allow them to be angled slightly so the light stays inside the tank and not have a ton of light spill.

The top of my canopy actually protrudes out a couple of inches. I had this done so I could make a metal fixture to hold my lights without having to worry about them screwing directly into the canopy. Not sure about trying to sit it up higher though

Back