Normal care Anthias

roundman

Market
Reaction score
Are there any anthias that are easier care? I can't feed all day but am looking for some fish with the colors and shapeof anthias.

YES Some are easier than others in fact, some Anthias are down right impossible to keep long term. I have had great luck with Lyretail and Bartlett. They will need feeding every day at least... and more frequent, small feedings are better yet... I did OK with every-other-day feedings with established specimens.

Next time you are in a LFS, pick up the Marine Fishes Guide and look at them. Several are rated easier than others. I think the Lyretail, Bartletts, Red Cheek, and Tri Colors are easier. So far I am keeping Lyretail and square anthias without much problem.

I think the real trick to anthias is getting good specimens. When a store gets them in, I suggest you maybe get them to hold them for you, but dont pick them up until they are eating and in the store for a couple weeks.

Also, i had better luck with a very short acclimation. SOme I dripped for 60 minutes, some I just temp acclmated for 15 minutes. The 15 minute temp specimens all lived, teh drip acclimated ones did much more poorly. I saw on Meleev's site the same result, and he guessed that the anthias just run out of O2 too quicky for a long drip acclimation.

Bartletts are great and lyretails are great.

I only temp acclimated and threw them in...all survived.

Back