Not Again!

georgiasunflower

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with the Fluval 405 filter? I purchased a brand new one at Petsmart in August when I first built my tank. Then approximately two months ago it started making a horrible clicking sound. I did everything I could to figure it out and finally had to take it all apart, cleaned it (though it was not dirty at all) and put it back. Within a couple hours the noise began again. Petsmart graciously allowed me to return it and gave me a brand new one. Though I must admit I could never figure out what was wrong with it?

SO I now have a two month old Fluval 405 that is again</em> making this horrible clicking noise. Does anyone know what is going on? Is this just not a good filter, or am I jinxed?

I really appreciate any help you can offer.

I have a 405 and it was up and running for 2.5 yrs and never had a clicking noise. Are you plugged directly into the wall with it or are you going through a power strip? If you are on a PS go to the wall and see if that has any affect. Sometimes the current from a ps might not match and can cause the unit to act up.

I have a 405 and have never had that problem but I know of others that have had the same problem...the rubber ends to the shaft of the impeller were not seated correctly which made the whole thing wobble...creating the noise.

kevinsolar;111637 wrote: I have a 405 and have never had that problem but I know of others that have had the same problem...the rubber ends to the shaft of the impeller were not seated correctly which made the whole thing wobble...creating the noise.

Interesting idea. I will try it. Thanks! Otherwise I'm taking it apart tomorrow. Haven't had a chance til now. I've been plugging and unplugging it now and then trying to see if will stop. I checked all my levels today and they are still good so I guess it is still working just making a very annoying sound. Its always something I guess.

I am glad to hear someone else is having luck with a canister though. My tank is small - only 90 gallons - and the 405 keeps it very clean. When it works :)

You might want to make sure that you don't have an air pocket trapped in there, that has happend to me, I just shook the whole canister to get the bubble out.

You can try tipping the can on it's side while it is running. This will purge any air out of the can. ( If it is cavitation you are hearing) Just rock it from side to side about 90 degrees

Are you using carbon? I had carbon stuck in the shaft next to my impeller in my magnum 350 which caused an awful clicking noise.

Back