Not chasing numbers but....

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
What do these mean?
Tank up and running stocked x 1 week (cycles prior to that)
Last week the phosphate on Hanna was .20 and nitrates were 5-10
Today phosphate .01 and nitrates 0
Changes made to system: added one filter cup with a phosphate reducing sponge at the bottom, a very small amount of BRS carbon inside a media bag (I’m talking about an ounce of carbon, very little) and filter floss. All three of things are inside one filter cup in the first chamber of the sump.
I had been running the protein skimmer but it’s been off for 24 hours. Started UV last night to try to cut the algae down.
I don’t have any macroalgae yet. I had added 4 containers of Copepods several weeks ago, and have 2 small mangrove stalks in the refugium area of the sump which also has a couple inches of sand and a bunch of matrix cubes.
Im thinking zero nitrates and very low phosphate at this point is not a good thing? pH is still running around 7.8
Thoughts?

Don’t chase numbers, but, uh, well, chase numbers, too. It’s a balancing act, or something.

Your tank is still very new. You’re going to see numbers change all over the place as pieces mature and of course when you throw in new stuff (Livestock or equipment!)

With a newer tank numbers go up, numbers go down even without changes. I believe that if you focus staying the same course and keep track of your numbers so that you can notice a trend. If a trend is noticed then you can take action.

Back