Nothing in protien skimmer collecting cup

Akash

Market
Reaction score
I have a ehopps hob skimmer rated for 75 gallons on my 30 gallon reef. In yhe 3 and a half months ins been running I haven’t cleaned the collecting cup once because nothing has formed that much to be cleaned. The cup has gotten a little brown but not to the point where I have to clean it. I have a clownfish pair and a fire fish in there right now. Is it just because of the small bio load or is it something else? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the foam level set correctly? Should be small bubbles like a rolling boil up into the middle of the neck below the cup. If it's set too low the foam won't reach the cup. Usually a knob (adjustment valve in the picture) to turn to adjust the level. Turn it slowly just a little, wait 30 seconds, if needed adjust more a tiny bit at a time. Foam above that point should be large bubbles.

Parts-of-a-Protein-Skimmer~2.jpg

Last edited:
da2e89084ad2816fb648fdd928f3fc4c.jpg

This is how my unit looks. You can see discoloration in the top of the body below the cup but I can’t find anything to change the foam level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out the video on this page. I think this is the model you have or similar. They show how to set it up and adjust it:

If you haven't, I'd give it a good cleaning now with just hot water and then tune it per the video.

Back