Novice with plumbing!

Drknudsenx2

Market
Reaction score
Hi all, my tank lives in the kitchen, and is currently running a Durso standpipe to drain down to the sump. This was installed by my LFS, as I had no prior knowledge in plumbing. Since having it installed, and watching the process, I feel I have a better understanding in how it works, and have done a lot of research on plumbing.
As you can see in my picture, the overflow has 2 1” holes which have the durso drain that runs PVC horizontal under the cabinet to dump into the first chamber of the sump. I also have a refugium/external tank that I would like to plumb in. I have flexible 1 1/2” tubing running the return pump up into the overflow and out into the DT.

I would like to convert this system to a herbie overflow, as it is quite loud and I would like it to not sound like a second dishwasher in my kitchen.

B699C2D9-EB85-4875-933B-E92CD8270B71.jpg

I am not sure where to start with designing this. I want to follow http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/ , unless anyone has any other recommendations?

My main questions are:
  1. The recommendation for Herbie overflow is to have the return go straight down into the chamber, which is opposite what I currently have going. Should I have both emergency drain and main drain into the same chamber? (See hand drawn picture) Is this too simplistic?
  2. Should I use flexible tubing for everything, or should I consider PVC? Where can I buy flexible tubing/pieces- Order from BRS? How to set up return pipe over back of tank?
  3. Any advice on how to include the refugium? GMAC does not recommend tee-ing off the return, but my other option is using a second pump from the sump into the refugium, which may make additional noise.
  4. Does anyone want to help me make a shopping list? haha…but seriously?
IMG_3680.jpeg

I really appreciate the help!
Dane

If you can have it drain straight down that is idea but if not a little bit of a turn here and there wont hurt anything. The only thing it will do is slow down the flow to sump slightly. I personally like to hard plumb everything vs using flexible piping. I have one tank that the pipes run straight down and another that the main line is doing 2 90' turns and then the emergency drain is going straight down into the main chamber of the sump (bypasses socks). For the fuge not sure if you are able to drill into the fuge or not but you could have a pump like a mj1200 pumping water up from your main sump and then cutting into the fuge and sump to main it gravity feed back into the main sump. if not you could have 2 mj1200 pumps pumping and add a valve. So you would have one pumping into and one pumping out. (just be careful you dont want something getting suck and overflowing.

Here is a pic of one of my sumps. I've got the main line going down over and down again. (very similar to yours) It's hard to see but if you look towards the middle you can see a clear flexible pipe that is the Emergency drain.

Attachments

• 20200201_170616.jpg
    20200201_170616.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
For the fuge not sure if you are able to drill into the fuge or not but you could have a pump like a mj1200 pumping water up from your main sump and then cutting into the fuge and sump to main it gravity feed back into the main sump.
That is currently the setup, it is tough to tell in the picture but there is a bulkhead and pvc pipe that is allowing gravity to let it flow back into the chamber. The previous set up (this was used) was to use a small pump from the sump into the fuge, and then let it drop back into the sump. I was hoping to find a way to not have to utilize the additional pump, either a tee off of the primary return (not sure that would even work), or tee off the return pump (which sounds like can affect the overall stability of the herbie drain system?

Here is a pic of one of my sumps. I've got the main line going down over and down again. (very similar to yours) It's hard to see but if you look towards the middle you can see a clear flexible pipe that is the Emergency drain.
Also, what material of piping are you using, as that is not PVC.

Here is my setup for my plumbing when I upgraded my setup. Im running a Bean Animal Over Flow. For my return i just ran soft braided tubing straight form the return pump. The emergency is plumbed to the return chamber and ends 4-5 inches above the water line. This way if water does go through it, it will make a splashing noise that I would be able to hear.

InkedIMG_20191002_173212_LI.jpg

How many bulkheads does your main tank have going to the sump?
As far as not wanting to run another pump your can make a manifold from your main return and run a line to the refugium.

Or you could always look for another sump to accommodate everything you want into one unit.

Here is my setup for my plumbing when I upgraded my setup. Im running a Bean Animal Over Flow. For my return i just ran soft braided tubing straight form the return pump. The emergency is plumbed to the return chamber and ends 4-5 inches above the water line. This way if water does go through it, it will make a splashing noise that I would be able to hear.

How many bulkheads does your main tank have going to the sump?
As far as not wanting to run another pump your can make a manifold from your main return and run a line to the refugium.

Or you could always look for another sump to accommodate everything you want into one unit.

There are only 2 bulkheads, so I will utilize both of those for the drains, and then figure out a way to build the return to go over the back of the tank (tank is painted black fortunately). The only downside would be that I will need to re-fit the mesh-like aquarium covers to account for the return flow, but that should not be a big issue (I hope). I wish I would have known all of this before the trial and error, it sat empty for 2 months which would have been a great time to drill a new hole...oh well! Learn on the first tank, and perfect on the next!
I will also leave my emergency short, that's a great idea.
It looks like you were not too worried about making some 45' angles, I will likely do the same, as long as it still keeps noise to a minimum.

There are only 2 bulkheads, so I will utilize both of those for the drains, and then figure out a way to build the return to go over the back of the tank (tank is painted black fortunately). The only downside would be that I will need to re-fit the mesh-like aquarium covers to account for the return flow, but that should not be a big issue (I hope). I wish I would have known all of this before the trial and error, it sat empty for 2 months which would have been a great time to drill a new hole...oh well! Learn on the first tank, and perfect on the next!
I will also leave my emergency short, that's a great idea.
It looks like you were not too worried about making some 45' angles, I will likely do the same, as long as it still keeps noise to a minimum.
The 45' angles help with flow and less restriction. I used them where ever i could.

Dumb question- is the main function of all of the unions so that you can disassemble various sections easily?

Back