now i'm nervous

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
so for the revamp, i have always wanted a number of tangs. 2 months ago, I introduced a sailfin, yellow, tomini, and a juvi "blonde" naso tang (blonde in quotation because i don't know if it's a blonde or not. the lfs had regular naso and blonde in the same tank) all at the same time understanding that there may be aggression among themselves. They are pretty much the same size. Another tang that i wanted is a purple and for some time no lfs was able to get it.

Then Nemos came through and got one in around the same size as the others. after brief observation/QT, i introduced it to the tank after the light had gone out. other tangs don't seem to be bothered by the new member but the yellow tang seems to be chasing the purple tang around and making it go to the corner areas by the wave makers. fingers crossed.

That's a lot of tangs for a 150 Hui. Like I told you when I was over there you don't want to mix tangs from the same genus.
Both the Yellow and the Purple are from Zebrasoma and Yellow's are notorious for aggression.

I would get the Yellow out ASAP.

so for the revamp, i have always wanted a number of tangs. 2 months ago, I introduced a sailfin, yellow, tomini, and a juvi "blonde" naso tang (blonde in quotation because i don't know if it's a blonde or not. the lfs had regular naso and blonde in the same tank) all at the same time understanding that there may be aggression among themselves. They are pretty much the same size. Another tang that i wanted is a purple and for some time no lfs was able to get it.

Then Nemos came through and got one in around the same size as the others. after brief observation/QT, i introduced it to the tank after the light had gone out. other tangs don't seem to be bothered by the new member but the yellow tang seems to be chasing the purple tang around and making it go to the corner areas by the wave makers. fingers crossed.

That yellow tang is a jerk! how big is it?

I've had yellow, purple, and sailfins in the same tank before and it was smaller than yours. It can certainly work. Is the purple fighting back or is it just taking a beating? If it has some gumption and not taking much damage then give it time and use the mirror trick and/or print photos of massive yellow tangs and plaster them on the tank.

Just watched part of the vid. You definitely want to do the mirror and the pic thing asap. Multiples of each would be best. Give that yellow tang more to think about than the poor purple. I saw the purple flare out once or twice, so if it has a breather or two I think it'll be ok. If its just always running then it is less likely to work out.

Yellow tang is an ....remove it and u can put the purple tang in Hui. This sounds so familiar

That's a lot of tangs for a 150 Hui. Like I told you when I was over there you don't want to mix tangs from the same genus.
Both the Yellow and the Purple are from Zebrasoma and Yellow's are notorious for aggression.

I would get the Yellow out ASAP.

yes i remember you saying about tangs from the same genus. what i didn't expect was that the purple tang is such a wuss. if anything i was expecting the purple tang to be dominant. (maybe it will over time)

Yellow tang is an ....remove it and u can put the purple tang in Hui. This sounds so familiar

sounds like you are speaking from experience.

I've had yellow, purple, and sailfins in the same tank before and it was smaller than yours. It can certainly work. Is the purple fighting back or is it just taking a beating? If it has some gumption and not taking much damage then give it time and use the mirror trick and/or print photos of massive yellow tangs and plaster them on the tank.
yellow tang is chasing/"beating" the purple tang if purple tang comes out. if purple tang stays near the overflow/wave maker area, then the yellow tang will permit it.

yellow tang is chasing/"beating" the purple tang if purple tang comes out. if purple tang stays near the overflow/wave maker area, then the yellow tang will permit it.
Cool then you'll be fine over time. As long as he's not being constantly harassed it'll be fine. Once you have the mirror or pics up then the harassment will lessen as well. Eventually the yellow tang is going to think... "hey I'd rather have that purple guy than all those yellow tangs in here".

The mirror doesn't have to be 4ft long... :) But I'm sure that'll help.

Back