Nurse shark in reef tank

millersteve383

Market
Reaction score
So I went to a new LFS in Roswell and saw that they were hatching and selling nurse sharks and said they were reef safe and were easy to care for. I didn't believe this and it sounded like a horrible idea but was wondering if anyone actually does this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure they are reef safe, but I've seen them diving at well over 9 feet long. I can't imagine anyone has a tank that large haha

I mean... they are at least a foot long as newborns.

It is true they are relatively easy to care for and they are technically reef safe. So they didn't lie to you or anything. But yes as mentioned above you would need a pretty sizable system to be able to house an animal that large. We have 1 that I know of in a very large service tank... from what my technician tells it's never been ideal... we usually don't recommend them... but the customer insisted =)

The little known short-tail nurse shark is only found in the western Indian Ocean, and we have had (3) in the store for over 2 years. They rarely grow to over 30", and are easy to care for. A 96" x 48" foot print tank is large enough for them to live in. They are never aggressive to other livestock that are too large for them to swallow. Though sting rays are commonly kept with sharks, it is not a good idea with these. The sharks tend to be fairly inactive during the day, and when feeding the fish, if the food sits on top of the shark, the rays can cut into the sharks skin when eating the food. Come on down and feed the sharks!

Back