Nyos - Testkits and skimmer line

dawgface

Market
Reaction score
Any people ahead of the curve have anything to say regarding the new products being brought forth by Nyos?

Test kits are exciting. Mainly due to the ease of use (purportedly) but more so towards the use of video directions rolled out by Nyos. Baffles me that all others have failed to see this as a benefit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?index=2&list=PLHBJ8BGFaLmwPdh_zxisEE76Rv3MfEu6K&v=jQsy9o89BKQ">https://m.youtube.com/watch?index=2&list=PLHBJ8BGFaLmwPdh_zxisEE76Rv3MfEu6K&v=jQsy9o89BKQ</a>

[IMG]http://reefbuilders.com/2014/04/29/nyos-reefer-line-high-test-kits/">http://reefbuilders.com/2014/04/29/nyos-reefer-line-high-test-kits/</a>

Skimmer line

[IMG]http://reefbuilders.com/2014/04/24/nyos-quantum-skimmer-promises-lots-refinement-outrageously-cool/">http://reefbuilders.com/2014/04/24/nyos-quantum-skimmer-promises-lots-refinement-outrageously-cool/</a>

[IMG]http://www.nyos.info/en/produkte/products.php?prid=quantum220">http://www.nyos.info/en/produkte/products.php?prid=quantum220</a>

Oh and during my most recent trip to houston I picked up some goodies that include the Nyos full line test kits. Will post an official review after I use them tomorrow.

Those skimmers look pretty sexy.. I'm sure the cost a pretty penny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not too bad, 799 or 899 for their biggest model.

There was a rep at a store I stopped at. She had a heavy accent so I wasnt 100% sure what she said here. Plus she gave some huge swing in which these 3 skimmers were targeted towards. But she was smoking hot and I forgave her for it. Plus she gave me free test for some reason, didn't ask at all actually tried refusing by paying but in the end she won.

Reading up on them it appears its a beefed up rebranded skimz, which is not a bad thing. They were great skimmers.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the little one is $350 or something. I'm actually in the market right now and these are definitely on my radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DawgFace;1015386 wrote: Oh and during my most recent trip to houston I picked up some goodies that include the Nyos full line test kits. Will post an official review after I use them tomorrow.

Are you going to compare the test results to another test kit, such as Salifert? Would be interested to see how they compare.

I'll compare to Salifert, Elos and SeaChem which is what I use now.

I still laugh at the "innovative designs" of new to the market skimmers. They make bubbles, all that really matters is how fine the pump makes the bubbles and how much air you can put into it.

Interested to see how the test kits work out though.

EnderG60;1015522 wrote: I still laugh at the "innovative designs" of new to the market skimmers. They make bubbles, all that really matters is how fine the pump makes the bubbles and how much air you can put into it.

Interested to see how the test kits work out though.

Agreed, there's not much room for innovation with same concept skimmers. Although with that Nyos does a lot with little room. What I like most is the nearly nakid functional appearance. Seeing inside the pump clearly is important to maintence and preformance needs such as clogged pump I.e. debris, snails and crud. Admittedly, this very feature maybe be somewhat counter productive as it also give a window to algae. Second the pump, volute and chamber as whole seems to have found a very nice sweetspot for maximum production. Something bubbleking long solely had master. To which their price tag reflected, which is not found on this skimmer yet.

I'd be interested in how the results of the tests match up to some other brands , but from watching the videos they dont appear much different than a red sea kit without the Titrator

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Alright, opinion is in.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">I&#8217;ve ran the test throughout the last couple days and have built a strong enough foundation to give preliminary thoughts on these. </span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Well all but two that are commonly used by advanced hobbyist. No3 I didn&#8217;t purchase as Seachems kits which I just bought recently are so easy a cave man can do it and frankly I didn&#8217;t want to waste money on something that was not broke from my perspective.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">The Alk kit I purchased one of the regents leaked somewhere in shipping unfortunately. I really wanted to see the results here but meh oh well, later I suppose. It was the cheapest kit at a surprising $14.99, crazy!</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">On to those I used- </span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Calcium-</span><span style="font-size: 13px">I found this to be identical to Seachem&#8217;s product with a different package. Test results were identical every day. I will continue to buy Seachem&#8217;s test here mainly for their reference solution/addition to their kits. Also because their local and I support local business as well as their sponsorship to this club.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Magnesium- One that I was really hoping cleared the hurdle and solved missing elements in Seachems complicated kit and Elos&#8217;s long wearisome process, it did. Easy to use, easy to understand, simple and if all else fails a video to cleared the stupid out of me! More importantly each test I ran twice each of the days and unlike any other brand Mag test kit Nyos was consistent to the drop each and everytime! As with every serious reefer knows multiple brands of test kits are needed to fill our requirements, unfortunate as that is. Nyos Mag will now absolutely be among the exclusive that I use.</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Po4- This one has some extreme up and down in my opinion. First and foremost the negative is you have to wait at one step for 10 mins. Which I&#8217;ve always hated on any test kits I&#8217;ve ran as I already have a slight case of ADD. Additionally I like to finish up one test before moving forward with the next. These two circumstances together make for an optimal environment for me to lose track and start a new project in another room or hell out in the yard for all I know. The upsides, accuracy was substantially more consistent than Salifert to which I had been using. Likely this is due to the simplistic way they solved the colors scaling trouble users have always had with every test kit brand before. Confidence is easily definitive whether on one color or somewhere in the middle. I liked this kit and it will also find it&#8217;s way in. Because of the downside, only the 10 minute issue, I&#8217;ll use it when in doubt and likely intermitted as needed just to provide confidence in the easier to use Salifert hasn&#8217;t ran away from me. </span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Ultimately with this review I will use the following products for need listed below</span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">No3 &#8211; Seachem</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Po4 &#8211; Salifert (shorter) Nyos (trusted accuracy but lengthy)</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Calcium &#8211; Seachem</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Alkalinity &#8211; Seachem</span></span>
<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Magnesium &#8211; Nyos </span></span>

<span style="font-family: Calibri"><span style="font-size: 13px">Love to find a good one for Iodine, Iodide and Iodate. To date I &#8216;ve not used one that I am at all confident in it&#8217;s results. </span></span>

Tbub1221;1015679 wrote: I'd be interested in how the results of the tests match up to some other brands , but from watching the videos they dont appear much different than a red sea kit without the Titrator

I need to try RedSea again. I feel like the last time I used them I did not have the objectiveness or experience necessary to weigh them properly. What is the "recommended" go to test? or do you use them all?

Back