Oceana

sshindell

Lifetime
Reaction score
Margi and I went to the Atlanta Scuba Show today (both for fun and to find vendors for MACNA XX- very successful on both ends!). We talked at length with a woman named Suzanne Garrett from a non-profit organization called http://www.Oceana.org">www.Oceana.org</a> who wanted to publicize their effort to decrease the destruction of deep water coral via trawling. Here is the message that they wanted us all individually to send in support of their effort. Feel free to cut and paste and send it via snail mail - (I looked and could not find an e-mail that would go directly to him).

C. Duane Harris, Vice-Chairman
South Atlantic Fishery Management Council
105 Demere Retreat Lane
St. Simons Island, GA 31522

Dear Mr. Harris,

As you and your staff have often explained, management of entire marine ecosystems including protectin of corals, sponges, and other ocean floor habitats is necessary to establish and maintain sustainable fisheries. Ocean floor habitats sustain 95% of the species in the ocean and provide areas for fish species to reproduce, feed, and grow to adulthood. Entire ecosystems suffer when deep-sea coral reefs and other structural habitats are decimated by destructive fishing practices, depriving juvenile fish of their protective nurseries, adult fish their breeding grounds, and ultimately, depriving fisherman of their livlihoods. Please pass your council's Fishery Ecosystem Plan and comprehensive amendment, including measures to conserve, protect and restore deep-sea corals and seafloor habitat.

Thank you,

Name............
Address...........
E-mail..........

I saw him yesterday afternoon...he did a Fiji talk and and Focus on Sharks...

I think that is probably parts of the same talk.

Back to the topic - anyone willing to send these letters? We sent our already.

Back