Oceanforce Skimmer Vs Octo Extreme??

nickskains

Market
Reaction score
I am thinking about upgrading my skimmer soon. I was thinking of the Octo Extreme or the new Oceanforce by MRC.

I have seen Jin's Octo Extreme in action and it does a pretty good job. I have also read his review and it seemed like a pretty well built skimmer.

I am currently running a Octopus Needlewheel 150 on my 90g. I thought about doing a mesh mod but have read that it makes your skimmer pump very noisy if not done correct.

The other reason for wanting to upgrade is, I would like to get a bigger tank in a few months. Maybe a 120g or get a rimless 48x36x24.. or around there.
This is all still in my head. But if I did get a bigger tank then I could just use the new skimmer on it and that would be one less piece of equipment to get later.

Anywho, whats your take on either one?

Thanks.

Nick

I have never used either, but my skimmer is essentially a octo extreme (msx 300). My take is that they are pretty compararable. The ocean forces conserve space with a super small footprint, where as the octo only offers that style in the 160 size. The pumps are different too, so you may have to decide if the sicce pumps or whatever pumps the OF skimers use are best for you.

Some things to consider: 1)Are you running it in sump or out of sump? Sicce are no-go for external. 2)MRC s local. Gotta love local companies.

Even though I do not own one, I have seen the OF in action at MRC in L'ville, and I can vouch for MRC's build quality. They are built to last. And it was working quite well.

As far as the octo, since my msx is similar, I will comment. Works awesome. Sicce pumps are a little fragile, but are the bomb if meshed and working properly. Pretty efficient too.

Hopefully someone can comment ont eh OF's pump.

You know what my vote is :D

Even before MRC, I would have reccomended buying American. I'm not a fan of Chinese products. I haven't use the octopus for long, so I can testify on the performance; but I'm sure it performs well. I know the OF work well. I can tell you that there will be a huge service difference. MRC is there for you and can get you parts immediately. Your calls will be answered and emails responded to immediately. Also, not using metric parts makes it EASY for you to make plumbing changes if needed.

BTW, the OF are in-sump only also. Don't forget the ARC discount either!

I've asked that a few times with no response :). We know the sicce pumps pull stupid amounts of air... and its hard to compare skimmers without knowing the number on the OF pump.

I kept going back and forth as well but then went with the Octopus NW 150 for my 65G. The others are great for saving space, but if you put it into a tight space do you need to pull the whole skimmer out to do any cleaning or maintenance and if so will that keep you from doing it? The NW 150 takes up more sump space, but it is easy to pull the pump if I need to.

I purchased my Octopus Extreme 200 about a week ago and have been really impressed. It was a tossup between the Oceanforce, but I wasn't sure about going with the MRC model since it wasn't proven yet vs tons of reviews on the octos.

The only bad thing is if you wanted a Octopus Extreme 160, it's on backorder from such a high demand ,and you'll be waiting a few more months but there are some of the other models floating around.

I am using the mesh wheel that it came with, and it runs really well. (loudest thing on my tank is O2 entering my calc reactor) If your worried about the footprint on the extreme 200, I fit mine in a 12x12 and still have an inch to play with. The thing is really built well!

If your on the southside of town, let me know I'll be happy to let you see how it does under my 90.

Kurt

Right now I have my over modded wanna be OE 200 pulling 40scfh. IMO for that skimmer size (really the neck) thats about max it can handle. I'd sure like to know the OF numbers though.

I saw the proto Oceanforce back when MRC was testing them. They had a nice dense head of foam. The Nw150 I have now does a pretty good job on my 90g, but I am not sure it would do much bigger of a tank. Foot-print isn't much of a issue nor height. I am going to build my next stand to be a bit taller then the one I have now so I am not as limited on my skimmer due to height restrictions. For the price they seem to be right around the same, roughly $300 or so. Just was curious about the two.

Thanks for the input.

my MSX 160, sucks the scales off my fish. I love these skimmers. I just about have to use a spoon to clean out the detritus from the catch basin. but....this is just my opinion.

Back