Odd experience

kirru

Market
Reaction score
Well, this happened monday and I've had computer problems since but anyway, I get hom from school, and notice my sump's reutrn is almost dry :eek: silly me forgot to fill it up the night before... so i preced to walk over there and notice the carpet is wet and part of the stand is wet on the inside of the tank... well, i though I had a crack in the sump but still had a lot of water in it, just not the return... and the DT had the right amount of water as well... so cautious I fille the return back up and watched it to make sure there were no leaks, and of course there were none. ok, so I thought the power went out and just maybe the sump overflowed a little, well the clock in my room still had the correct time and was not blinking, no back up battery for it to keep the correct time either.

So, in your opinion what could have cause this phenomenon?
Cause my ideas are shot lol

could someone have accidentally unplugged your pump saw the results and plugged it back in, all before you got home?

Check to make sure the tank is draining properly.... I had a turbo snail go in my overflow and got caught in the bulkhead, needless to say the pump from my sump still pumped all the water in my sump back in the tank quicker then it could get around the snail to drain and the tank itself actually overflowed!

no, the tank isn't leaking i checked. lol

No, no one could have unplugged it, no one was home, everyone was at school hmm

I will check my litle plumbing but i don't think thats it.... i did noticed that it did look like the sump over flowed as there was a little salt going down the side and back where it could have over flowed... i'm at a lost.

Long shot, but this happened to me.........

On my last set up, I'd occasionally notice water running down my stand on one corner and water on the floor under it.

Figured out finally, that if the water level in the sump dropped below a certain level, then a fitting on my skimmer was left above the water surface. This fitting leaked, and because of the water pressure from the skimmer pump, a very fine stream of water would shoot from the fitting and hit the side of the stand.

Let the water level get low again and check all your fittings

ares wrote: side note, if you return pump dies, it should not overflow your sump. :) its a bad situation to be in if it does. try lowering the level in your sump if thats the case.

Well, I have put a hole at the top of the return ABOVE the water level in the display tank so once the power does go out, it has no siphon what so ever so no water goes back to the sump from that part, how ever, cause there is a SMALL hole from when I put silicon for the over flow box, it tries to equal out the water pressure but ends up going to the sump so I have to fix that.

Dakota9;340998 wrote: Long shot, but this happened to me.........

On my last set up, I'd occasionally notice water running down my stand on one corner and water on the floor under it.

Figured out finally, that if the water level in the sump dropped below a certain level, then a fitting on my skimmer was left above the water surface. This fitting leaked, and because of the water pressure from the skimmer pump, a very fine stream of water would shoot from the fitting and hit the side of the stand.

Let the water level get low again and check all your fittings

Well, the skimmer is in the sump... so i don't think that was the problem. but i am going to check everything again. I have had the sump level get really low, infact I will take photos next time it is low for you all to look at.

Back