odd question on top off tank

saltwaterfishlover

Reaction score
had never thought of this before.
when I moved from Florida to Georgia I dismantled and sold my setup. when I emptied my top off tank I found it all slimey.
now I use a 5 gallon bucket and after a few months noticed its slimy.
how do you prevent this or is it just another maintenance thing to add to the list
thanks
Andy

I don't worry about it, much. I clean out my RODI storage tank one a year to help with this. Ok, I mean to clean it out once a year but usually it's once every two years. It's a 25g plastic storage tank and I'll disinfect it with a bleach/water solution, rinse with a water/prime solution, rinse again with just water and finally let it dry all the way out. Regarding the top container, I've never cleaned mine. It has a clear viewing panel on the front and I've never noticed any issues. I'm sure I could drain it and there would be a slime coat but I don't feel like it has any affect on the water going in to the tank.

I used to run a bag of carbon through a small circulating filter/pump to keep the slime away in mine. Since then I’ve switched to a direct feedline to both of my tanks from my RODI filter so I no longer have a reservoir to even worry about..

Last edited:
Are used to run a bag of carbon through a small circulating filter/pump to keep the slime away in mine. Since then I’ve switched to a direct feedline to both of my tanks from my arrow filter so I no longer have a reservoir to even worry about..
What is an arrow filter? Or did it autocorrect from RODI? I was direct feeding from RODI but was concerned with TDS creep and burning through DI resin so recently switched to a more traditional ATO with 5 gal bucket as reservoir.

Yes, it auto corrected from RODI. Been running like this for 2+ years and no adverse affect to the DI resin.

Back