Odessy Metal Halide

ddowns

Market
Reaction score
I have a Odessy Metal Halide light.. does any one here have experience with this product, please give me feed back on it. I heard something about it twice today so just let me know. I had the light for about a year and a half.

It's not that these are bad as they are decent fixtures, it's really more a problem of poor quality control. Many times the connections inside the fixture are loose or not connected at all. As far as components go, the fans they use don't last very long or get loud. If you are looking at one of the older units, that come with magnetic ballasts, that's pretty much it. Check your connection and be prepared to replace the fans. On the newer fixtures, they have some of the same issues but it's also been reported that the electronic ballast they come with do not provide the advertised power. There is quite an extensive thread on Reef Central if anyone is interested.

I bought mine last year and Bill Brown is right about the bulds. It is about time to replace my bulbs so I think I will buy them from another dealer. Any recommendations on bulbs for the Odessy MH?

Bulbs not burning at their stated kelvin rating may be the result of the ballast not providing the wattage needed to burn the bulb properly. If you have one of the fixtures with the electronic MH ballasts you might want to verify the draw of the ballast.

I've seen photos of the stock bulbs with replacement ballasts, and they're much better. You can opt to buy the fixtures sans ballasts at a discounted price. Then you can add whatever ballast you want and end up with a nice setup.

I would replace the bulbs too, but it's not neccesary.

Back