Oh no Aptasia's - help !!!!

jetchris

Market
Reaction score
Ok I got a killer deal on a bunch of LR. I put it in my tank yesterday and noticed an over abundance of little red pinkish aptasia's. There must be at least 30. I cant believe how fast they spread they have already gotten on to old rocks. I know that a copperband butterfly will eat them and there is a shrimp that will eat them also. I forgot the name of the shrimp?? So my main question is if i buy the copperband and shrimp will they mess with my BTA's?? Also how many of those shrimp should I buy for a 90g??

Thanks,
Chris

peppermint shrimp go get 3 from capp bay and your problems are solved. Sometimes peppermint shrimps dont eat aiptasia but most of the time they will.

i didnt see your other question...i have read some people say that the peppermint will mess with a bta but it wont damage it and if you have hosting clowns they will protect the bta. For a 90g 3-5 would be good imo.

The shrimp are Peppermint shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni). I had a small problem with aptasia, I bought 6 peppermint shrimp for a 125 and they took care of it. I haven't noticed any problems with my BTA or Sebae.

I had significant damage to a RBTA from a peppermint. The ones with clownfish though are fine.

I have a bta that my clowns for some reason will not host in and I have a peppermint shrimp. The only think Ive ever seen is the shrimp grab food from the bta right after I fed it. No damage to the bta at all, and more importantly, no aptasia.

good luck.

Erg... I just lost my whole post... arg.

Before I got my Banded Coral Shrimp, I had a few small isolated aiptasia's. Since I got the BCS tho, I have no aiptaisa whatsoever; I've never seen</em> the BCS eat aiptasia, but there's nothing else in my tank that would have, either, and it's definitely all gone.

Also, if you want to wait until they get a little bigger, you can always get a syringe (know any diabetics?), fill it with a little lemon juice and inject it in to the anemone... Voila, no more aiptasia.

Here's an article:
a>

joe's juice is like $7 for the bottle over at aquabuys (smas place) and it works unbelievably well. It also treats majano which is great if you ever get them....stuff lasts forever and works incredibly well so long as you get the juice in the anenomes mouth.

I would stay away from Peppermint shrimp. I seen them mess with my CandyCane and kill a healthy head, they also pick on my brain before I took them off the tank.

Back