Ok some more Lighting

ckwatson

Market
Reaction score
I know ever one loves these questions. This is an odd set up but I think I may be able to make it work. I am thinking of doing it this way to save on up front cost as well as running cost and heat issues. The pic says 4 t-5s but I may add 2 more. I like the rock work the way I have it drawn so I will have plenty of room for every thing to swim around. I am hopefully going to have 2-3 tangs. So with all that said any comments or ideas are welcome. If it is just a really bad idea let me know. I may still try it but I will let you say I told you so. And it is going to be a 75 gallon tank with a hood.

fishtank.jpg
alt="" />

Hi Kyle,

Having only one MH to the right of the tank will make some strange shadows, it will also make the left hand side of the tank look darker than the right.

Obviously it will work but might not look as pretty as it could.

you'd be better off placing the mh in the middle.

you can then put the t5's around the mh, staggered to illuminate the whole tank.

otherwise, your plan will "work", it just wont look good.

The only problem with putting the MH in the middle is there will be a center brace there with will cause shadows and wast a lot of the out put from the light. Has any one seen a set up like this or is it one of those things that ever one has always said will not work so no one has really tried it? I dont know that much but I would think there is a way to make it work so that there are not shadows. I know the color or brightness may be off a little from one side to the other but I think I could live with that as long as it is not to drastic. With the right bulb combination you may be able to get a nice blue to white fade in the tank.

yes, you will lose par, but appearance is more important than par.

BUT, if you keep your rockwork as illustrated, it could work. You'll just have to play with the t5 bulb combination

Yeah The lights and rocks work would have to work together. I was also thinking of adding another set of T-5 maybe a 48" set to kinda help fill in and add a little bit more par to the T-5 end of the tank. I also think it would be neat to see if things color different on different sides of the tank.

what about putting a lumenarc reflector in the middle and then t5s around it.

I could do that or buy another HM, but I am trying to work with what I have right now with out spending too much money. I may get it set up and it look really bad If so I will do something else. I like DIY and trying new things unless it is just completely useless to try them. This sounds like it may take some work getting the lights in the right place and getting the rights bulbs but I think if I can make it work work it will give me a pretty cool look and I will not have to build a canopy that is a foot and a half tall.

ckwatson;190454 wrote: I could do that or buy another HM, but I am trying to work with what I have right now with out spending too much money. I may get it set up and it look really bad If so I will do something else. I like DIY and trying new things unless it is just completely useless to try them. This sounds like it may take some work getting the lights in the right place and getting the rights bulbs but I think if I can make it work work it will give me a pretty cool look and I will not have to build a canopy that is a foot and a half tall.

this might look cool, it could look like the sun hitting a side of a reef(natural)

That is kinda what I am hoping for. but we will see One side being a little more blue (deeper water) may help with mushrooms and things like that, which would be found lower on a reef. I would say that if people who have been doing this longer and are better at it then me have not been able to make it work Im not sure what chance I stand but it should be fun trying. Any ideas on bulb choice would be great. I was thinking something like a 14 or 20k MH would be best for that side then maybe some of the Giesemann 12k T-5s

ckwatson;190460 wrote: That is kinda what I am hoping for. but we will see One side being a little more blue (deeper water) may help with mushrooms and things like that, which would be found lower on a reef. I would say that if people who have been doing this longer and are better at it then me have not been able to make it work Im not sure what chance I stand but it should be fun trying. Any ideas on bulb choice would be great. I was thinking something like a 14 or 20k MH would be best for that side then maybe some of the Giesemann 12k T-5s

my t5s are aquasun 11ks (i think) then the bulb a reeflux 12k or phenoix 14k

I would try and match the colours of both sides. Go with a 20k or reeflux 12k bulb to get the bluer look and then match that colour with the t5's.

or, you can spend a few and diy another mh. You can make your own reflector for cheap. Should be able to pick up a used bulb for cheap or free. ballasts aren't too bad either.

If the first set up does not work I think I will go another MH. I was also thinking of making my own reflector for this set up to kinda point the light down the length of the tank. It should be fun but we will see how it works from what some people are saying it sounds like I will be getting another MH But I like trying new things.

I have some huge reflectors (like the ones CBA uses) you need. Free :)

Since my tank is 5 feet wide and I have an array of 4 foot t5s... I did play with this idea and had a 250 watt halide angled off to one side... as you're planning.

It actually looked pretty cool imo. The shimmer would spread almost over the entire tank due to the angle. The light though was of a significantly different hue which looked a lil odd. If I had color matched with a bluer halide it woulda looked better. I considered keeping it but it added wayy too much heat for my taste so I took it off.

G'luck.

Skriz thanks will you be at the next meeting?

Jin I am glad to hear I stand a chance. So you think I should get a MH around 20K or so to keep the color close to the T-5s.

I guess it depends on what T5 bulbs you have. Although, I think its easier to try to color match the T5s to the halide as you can vary the bulb arrangement of the T5s accordingly.

Back