Old Corals as Calcium Reactor Media?

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
I have plenty of old SPS skeletons and was wondering the best way to get them ready to put in my calcium reactor to break them back down. I have heard many things from boiling and then drying to just tosing them in the reactor. Does anyone do this and what are your proceedures for using old corals as media? Thanks in advance!

I do that. But I don't do any prep work- I just toss them in... I figure whatever the live corals need to build skeletons must be in those old skeletons. I've got some clam shells that I'm about to try here in a couple days...

Sweet....thanks Chris! I was hoping there was no prep to it. I toss all my skeletons in part of my fuge so they are full of pods and other critters. I guess a good rinse before tosing them in might be in order.

I do a quick rinse and toss them in.

I figure there's something of value left in them, especially some of my LE stuff that has now become POS stuff. :)

I love the concept of this.. wouldn't you be worried about whatever killed the coral in the first place being introduced back ?

Chemically_Balanced;223793 wrote: I love the concept of this.. wouldn't you be worried about whatever killed the coral in the first place being introduced back ?

Since I only open my reactor every 6 months or so to refill media, any skeletons have been sitting on the shelf for several months, and so anything that may have caused their demise has probably long died off.

Not to mention the acidic pH in the reactor would kill just about anything. I recycle my coral skeletons into my reactor as well. It's the best media to have.

Unless you break the skeletons up, wouldn't you have to adjust your ph for the larger media?

I heard for smaller granular media, the ph in the chamber should be ~6.95. That sound about right?

What about if you are using larger media or old skeletons?

ChrisOzment;223843 wrote: Unless you break the skeletons up, wouldn't you have to adjust your ph for the larger media?

I don't. Anything between 6.5 and 7 is hunky dory...

I heard for smaller granular media, the ph in the chamber should be ~6.95. That sound about right? What about if you are using larger media or old skeletons?

The purpose of the CO2 is to lower the pH. Calcium carbonate, the primary constituent in reactor media and coral skeletons, starts to dissolve around 7 pH and lower. The trick is balancing your tank's needs and the dissolving rate of the media. As long as you're not below 6.5 (and thus dissolving the media too fast to be absorbed) or above 7 (too high to dissolve), then anything will work. You may find that 6.95 will work for you, but 6.5 would work too, assuming everything else is in balance.

Don't worry too much about chasing exact numbers - it's likely your pH probe isn't calibrated that accurately anyway. I typically shoot for 6.75 to be right in the middle, and if I'm between 6.7 and 6.8, I'm happy.

Mine always ranges from 6.4-6.8! I found that 6.4 made quite a mess..mush of the media. Shooting for 6.75 is about perfect.

Differing the pH of the recalculating water in the calcium reactor affects the rate of dissolution primarily, and the only effect having larger medium chunks is that it exposes less surface area per gram of medium. This is only a benefit if the medium itself is relatively soft or porous and you don't want to dissolve it too quickly (so you run the pH up to the 6.7 to 6.8 range). Ideally you would want to have reactor medium that is uniform in size and hardness, sized about the size of coarse aquarium gravel (like the ARM medium) so that for each fill of the reactor, you get a relatively consistent delivery rate of calcium and alk over the duration of each medium fill. Really there is no reason to not do this, just try busting the skeletons up so that they are somewhere in the vicinity of the ARM medium size for the sake of consistent delivery. Aragonite = parrotfish poop = coral skeletons, or mined aragonite which = old coral skeletons.

Ideally for most reactors in the average system (if properly sized), starting in the 6.65 to 6.75 range is going to deliver appropriate amounts of calcium and alkalinity, and following trends in the tank will tell you if you need to bump up the delivery of calcium and alkalinity, either by initially increasing the throughput rate of the effluent, or by dialing up the amount of CO2 by lowering the range for the controller to dissolve more aragonite to meet your system's needs. If the throughput is maxed out, then increasing the acidity of the reactor will dissolve the calcium at a higher rate, resulting in a more concentrated effluent being delivered to the tank. The effect of decreasing the size of the reactor medium is that it will dissolve at a faster rate for a given pH within the reactor. This is true down to a certain point, after which the medium become so small that it blows away with the recirc current or turns into mush if the flow rate is slow. The advantage of using a consistent size of medium is that it will allow you to have a consistent delivery of your hermatypic supplements, so that you should be able to refill the medium chamber in the reactor and seal them back up without having any need for readjusting the settings of the reactor or controller (make sure to clean the effluent control valve with white vinegar!~).

HTH

Back