Old freshwater guy getting back into it with questions

tdam

Market
Reaction score
I used to do freshwater tanks a long time ago before i got into saltwater. now i'm thinking about taking down my saltwater tank and starting up a freshwater tank again.

thinking of doing an arrowana tank.

Can i use my sump, or do i need to plug it up my overflow and use a different filtraton?

Any idea if i can use my old saltwater sand and liverock?

With those guys I would keep the sump yoyo near major filtration for those guys thank shark bioload also keap in mind those guys can hit 48 inches in a a adopted tank also soak the tank in fresh water for atleast 48 hrs with a Dalrymple of bleach per 40gal this will help control your Ph if not Gould have major swings during and sumyimes after your cycle

Can I use a sump? What can I put in the sump? Carbon? Filter pad? Anything else?

Is run carbon amonia absorbers maybe even plant the sump but that's the least of your wories those guys git huge I mean massss@sssssssssssssove your talkin a fish that can and will eat rats smallest tank I would risk a $500++++++ fish is 72x24x24
Also you have to use ro-di with trace elements if you wont all there color wATER HAS TO BE TOP NOTCH

I have kept arowanas in the past. I can help you get your tank set up and give pretty accurate advice about care and husbandry of those fish.

Reds are not legal in the states, doesn't mean that they don't make it here.
Silver are the most common followed by the Jardini(gold) and the blacks. They are pretty much exclusively top-water swimmers and are great jumpers(a strong and weighted glass top or other type of inclosed canopy is a must). They come from the amazon, so they like soft, warm water. They show the best coloration, and look the nicest when you maintain discus-like water quality. They are far more forgiving than discus, and can handle excess waste, but you will see signs that they are not happy. I used to keep my pH around 6.4 and kept the temp around 80-82F.

As far as the set up... you will basically need to get rid of all of the rock and sand. What are you currently using for bio-media? I would rinse everything in fresh water except the bio-media. A lot of the bacteria will adapt to the freshwater environment. This doesn't mean that your tank is cycled, this just means you have a SMALL head start. I wouldn't start the tank with the arowana, give it a month(minimal time) before you introduce a fish like that. Buy a bottle of stability and a bottle of microbacter-7. Dump the entire bottle of microbacter-7 into the tank after you have filled and dechlorinated your newly filled tank. I have been using tap water for freshwater for a very very long time. Throw some prime in there and you are good to go. For the stability, add one cap for every 10 gallons every day until you run out. After 3 days of the stability, you should be able to add a few fish..... GOOD LUCK!

No prob, you are more than welcome to PM me any questions that you may have. I was a fresh water guy before I found salt. I still respect and appreciate freshwater as much as I do salt, its just, the passion has turned into compassion for the FW hobby. I'll go back again at some point... Yesterday, i just picked up a nice little aquarium from my Gparent's house. The contents inside were in rough shape, but the actual tank it's self is a really nice 15gallon(give or take) custom acrylic tank. It came with a nice little PC light, that probably needs bulbs. Maybe I'll start up a little freshwater tank with you(no arowanas)!

You can, however i have seen ceramic media produce better results. Bioballs produce nitrate but cannot break nitrate down. Ceramic media can grow aerobic and anaerobic bacteria and will help reduce nitrate.

You can find ceramic media at most LFS. They look like extremely pourous rocks, spheres, or cylinders. The have way more usable surface area than a bioball and are usually more expensive.

Thanh, like I just said... hard to say no to free! :)

Thanh386;701744 wrote: I know where u can get reds :)

Edit: Can I use my uv sterilizer for freshwater?

You can use the UV, however I wouldn't turn it on for the first month. During the cycling process, you want to be able to keep any good bacteria alive.

Back