old RO/DI, and a couple of questions...

tmlrfrancis

Reaction score
So, since the LFS is not right around the corner, the hubby and I 'dug out' our old Kent Maxxima Hi S 60 gpd RO/DI unit from our first foray into saltwater fishes. We figured the advice earlier given - and gratefully received - about the savings in GAS outweighing the extra costs in the old water bill made A LOT of sense! (+ transporting water isn't the most fun of tasks...)
Anyway, a bit of a problem with that plan... Kent no longer produces this RO/DI unit. Does anyone know if there are still replacement filters available for the unit? I ran across some websites that claimed to have replacements, but would like to know if anyone else has ever dealt with any of these before possibly spending a couple of hundred bucks only to get filters that are not compatible!

On another note... we got the system plumbed this weekend. Used rigid PVC from the overflow to the sump and from the pump to the tank. Everything is water tight (YEAH!). We added an extra length of 1" PVC into the sump to help 'quite' the flow since it's in the bedroom.
Question about the water level in the sump - we noticed that after about 24 hours run time the level of water in the sump decreased - not enough to cause a problem, but the top of the pump was exposed. It had well over an 1" of water covering the pump when we first started everything. Any ideas as to what caused the <u>decrease</u></em> in the amount of water in the sump? Should we add more water to the system? The water level is only 1/2" from the top of the tank with the current volume, so not a lot of room to add volume to the tank. :unsure:

I can't help you with the RODI system, I don't have any experience with that unit.

I can tell you that the water level in the sump is dropping because of evaporation. I go through about a half gallon a day. My wife or I would have to add fresh RODI water at least once a day, till we both got tired of this and added an auto top off system. Well worth the money IMO. Make sure to add fresh water and not salt because the salt does not evaporate and if you add salt water it will increase your salinity.

Btw, the water level in your display should always stay the same because of the overflow. The only place you will see the decrease in water volume should be in your return action of the sump, where your return pump is located.

I knew we'd have evaporation... I guess I just didn't figure it would be that much in 24 hours!

Of course our tank is a 30x 30 x 24 'cube' with no lid! Should have figured all that open space would = a good deal of 'lost' water... :D

We're planning to add the 'screen' top we saw on YouTube - just as a deterrent for the fishes to escape. I haven't seen a 'lid' for this type of aquarium.

Yeah, 30"x30" is a lot of surface area. I have a 75 gallon with a surface area of 48"x18" and like I said I lose about half a gallon a day. I am a supporter of an open or screen top. I believe it helps with gas exchange and helps to keep the oxygen levels higher than in a glass or acrylic top.

I evap 2.5 gallons a day...

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

On the bright side....replacement filters aren't proprietary. I bet if you send an email to these guys ,
a>  (site sponsor) they'll get you squared away in no time.

After reading some other posts and doing a little price checking... we decided it would be in our better interests (an not too much more expensively) to get a new RO/DI unit. Ordered one from BRS this morning - a 5-step 75 gpd system w/ TDS monitor. I think we'll feel a little more comfortable since the old unit has been in storage for more than 10 years! Plus, this unit increases the output, adds a cleaning step (our old unit was only a 4-step), and we'll be able to 'see' when the filters are starting to wear out with the monitor.

Hardest part now is waiting on everything to be delivered! :bash2:

Still, I've been reading as much as possible... trying to use the time wisely!

Here's a little BRS tip for any future purchases. Leave whatever you're looking at in your cart for a day or two. They'll always send you a coupon via e-mail for $5 off.

Thanks for the tip! I signed up for their emails (deals, news, etc)! That'll be a help for future reference! I'm difinitely for saving $$ whenever possible!

You may have already considered this but...in one of your posts you were concerned about the amount of waste water.

Take a look at this puppy: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-150-gpd-water-saver-upgrade-kit.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-150-gpd-water-saver-upgrade-kit.html</a>

It'll make RO/DI water production faster as well as decrees the amount of waste water.
For $50, it sounds like a no brainer to me.

Back