Old Sand Substrate

ChaoticScorpio

Reaction score
I am in the process of switching my 75 gal. to a 120 gal. Is there anything the old sand substrate can be used for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, if you transfer it in any capacity you're likely to release a floodgate of nitrates

Yeah, I already go new sand. I was just curious if it can be used in the garden ore something like that.

Oooh. You could probably rinse it. It's just sand so yeah if you ever needed sand for a garden or sandbox or something!

I rinse it and keep it in an old bucket. Every once in a while I've had a need for it and it doesn't take up much space. Plus I like cleaning it, spreading it out to dry and sifting through it. The process can take quite a bit of time but it's just one of the odd things I really like doing for some reason.

To the OP, if you used an aragonite based substrate such as from CaribSea it may be used in gardens, etc. if rinsed thoroughly first to eliminate any salt.
The aragonite is calcium carbonate and a good liming material, for here in Georgia and our acidic red clay soils (technically called an ultisol).
It will break down gradually due to the acid, liberating calcium which improves soil structure and carbonate which of course raises pH.
There is likely to be some phosphorous bound to the calcium as well, which will aid in plant growth, after the above reaction occurs.
You might want to till the gravel into the soil, if possible, as this will help speed up the reaction/break down.

Last edited:
To the OP, if you used an aragonite based substrate such as from CaribSea it may be used in gardens, etc. if rinsed thoroughly first to eliminate any salt.
The aragonite is calcium carbonate and a good liming material, for here in Georgia and our acidic red clay soils (technically called an ultisol).
It will break down gradually due to the acid, liberating calcium which improves soil structure and carbonate which of course raises pH.
There is likely to be some phosphorous bound to the calcium as well, which will aid in plant growth, after the above reaction occurs.

Thank you, I was hoping it might have a use.

Back