Old T-5 lamps

hnguyen

Market
Reaction score
Could old T-5 lamps cause my corals to lose color? My red planet is completely white now but polyps are still extended. My frogspawn and a few others are losing color as well. I just ordered replacement bulbs last night and it will take me about 6 weeks to change then all out so I won't know for maybe another 2 months.

6 weeks to change them out where they coming from mars.....lol.
old t5's lose light in the blue spectrum and go into the red spectrum which promotes algae growth.
too much light would cause bleaching, low light would cause them to lose color or not be as bright and can cause the zooxanthellae to die off, so yes it could be the cause.
might need to get those bulbs changed out sooner.

MYREEFCLUB0070;959403 wrote: 6 weeks to change them out where they coming from mars.....lol.
You're not supposed to change out all your t5's at once. Potential of upping the intensity too much from what the corals are used to.

Ringo®;959404 wrote: You're not supposed to change out all your t5's at once. Potential of upping the intensity too much from what the corals are used to.
got it, must have miss read it, i figured it was taking 6 week to ship the order....lol.

I change out my fixtures all at once, 38 t5 and 3 mh, but I do raise my fixtures and shorten the light cycle. They ones I can't raise I put double crate on to help protect the coral from to much light at once. This has worked for 7 years. Holley:D

The 72 " MH fixture has 3 mh and 8 t5s, it is very heavy and takes 2 people to take down and put on a table to change the bulbs. It would be next to impossible to take it down to change 1 or 2 bulbs a week.:)

Back