Omfg! High alk and nitrate

ssminnow

Reaction score
Noticed my anemone was laying on the bottom of my tank today, looking shriveled up and dead. (pulled him out; still firm but shriveled.)

Tested my water for a few params. Here are the readings:

pH - 8.1
Alk - 21 (OMG!!!)
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 50 (OMG!!!)

I don't have a fixed water change schedule, but after seeing the 'nem, I did a 12 G water change. The tests above were before water change.

My neighbor is Barbara (aka Barbara), and she did the tests. Somebody help me! Any insights into what could have caused this sudden problem?

If the anemone is still firm and attached to something, it's not dead. It could have been defecating (pooping) or water-changing.

Did you test the alk twice to confirm the result? Sometimes a test can go funky... if I get an unexpected result, I usually re-test. With a pH of 8.1, alk of 21 seems unlikely (is that dKH or meq/l - I would think the former...)

Nitrates of 50 didn't happen overnight. They probably rose over time. When was the last time you tested? OR changed water?

What brand of test kit are you using? Some kits "expire" and give weird readings too.

At the very least I'd have the water tested with a different brand of test kit to verify the results - in case it's just a case of test kit error - if those parameters are indeed correct, the nitrates can be brought down with a series of small but frequent water changes (so as not to upset ionic balance or anything else)...

As to the super high alk - I'd reserve comment on that until the result can be double-checked with a different kit. I'm not questioning the ability of the person testing - but the reliability of the test kit. If the alk was really that high, I'd expect to see the pH much higher too.

As for the anemone, I'd put it back for the time being and see what it does. If nitrate is 50 it rose over time and the creature got used to it - it needs to be addressed, but it's not going to just keel over because of that. It's normal for them to shrivel up once in a while, excrete or water change.

Keep us posted.
Jenn

with a dkh of 21 i would imagine that the ph would be high as well...i have never seen dkh of 21...i am gonna go with jeen on this and say check the test kit if you have another...but then again i don't really test anything except cal in my tank and haven't for 8 months i just do water changes regularly....thats just me though (i know omg right)

Alk test was API.

We tested twice, with same result both times.

We did put the anemone back in there.

Last time we tested was about a month ago and nitrates were around 1-2 (almost immeasurable).

Another case of the API test kit. I hate those things (just my opinion)...

IMO get a second opinion with another kit. I use Seachem - they come with a reference solution so if you are unsure of the accuracy of your result or the kit itself, you can test the reference solution to check the accuracy of the test. Each test has a solution with a pre-determined value, so when you test that solution, you will know the test is accurate if the result matches what the reference is supposed to be.

We can test your water for free if you like.

Jenn

JennM;332556 wrote: Another case of the API test kit. I hate those things (just my opinion)...

IMO get a second opinion with another kit. I use Seachem - they come with a reference solution so if you are unsure of the accuracy of your result or the kit itself, you can test the reference solution to check the accuracy of the test. Each test has a solution with a pre-determined value, so when you test that solution, you will know the test is accurate if the result matches what the reference is supposed to be.

We can test your water for free if you like.

Jenn

I will take my water in to get tested in the next day or two. Right now I am looking for something to stop the bleeding! I have a 42 gal and did a 12 gal water change. Do I need to do a bigger h2o change or do them daily for a few days or what?

ssminnow;332560 wrote: I will take my water in to get tested in the next day or two. Right now I am looking for something to stop the bleeding! I have a 42 gal and did a 12 gal water change. Do I need to do a bigger h2o change or do them daily for a few days or what?

Since you already did a 12g change, I would wait until you can get the water tested with a reliable KIT (not test strips... and not another API kit.)

Once you have reliable results, *then* we can figure out how you need to proceed.

I've had API kits show low to no nitrates then "suddenly spike" - turned out it was the test kit - testing with another kit (in my case, Seachem) showed that there was no spike. In that particular tank, the parameters had been rock solid for ~2 years so a sudden spike with no changes in husbandry or stocking, was highly irregular. Turns out it was the kit.

I never used their Alk test - but I suspect something is amiss with that too.

So once you have "real" results - then we can discuss what, if any action, is needed.

You should, however be doing regular partial water changes - 10% per week OR 20% every other week. Monitoring water quality can help you adjust to more or less *as needed* for your particular tank - as they are all different.

Jenn

ares;332562 wrote: yep, not an API fan.

get a 2nd opinion, most LFS will do a full series of tests for you for an insignificant price.

that would be step 1. keep up the water changes, Id do 15-20% a day if possible. nothing too insane. whatever your able to do without rushing it.

50 nitrates is not a huge deal. SPS would probably have issue with it, but if you dont have that... fish wont care, anenome maybe... Alk is wierd, but that isnt something that would happen by itself. so get another test done

IMO the OP should wait til the tests are verified. No sense in frigging up the ionic balance if there's no reason to... if nitrates are really 50 (doubtful) then one more day won't make a difference, at this point.

Besides, if they do a whole pile of water changes, it will be impossible to compare the new results with the API ones - as it is 12g have been changed, so there will already be a variance in results, even IF (big IF) the API was accurate (which I'm betting it's not).

Jenn

minnow, go see Jenn. She'll take good care of you and help you figure it out. Once you've had her service, you'll be back again and again.

Zoiks! That will do it. High salinity though does not necessarily mean high alk... I'd still question that value with a pH of only 8.1.

Yes, die-off would account for higher nitrates but you might also see ammonia and nitrite too - nitrate is merely the 'end result' of the other two.

Jenn

Back