One more reason to dip corals

kullas

Market
Reaction score
Picked up a torch today. One of the corals I have wanted ever since I had a tank 10 years ago. I inspected the frag and didn't seem to bad. Dropped it in the dip and within 30 seconds I seen something flailing around. Low and behold a flatworm. Before I never dipped but now I won't do anything with them unless I put them through a coral dip.20200228_145250.jpg

I used to not dip either, but it's simple, cheap, and worth it. I've heard and it's probably true that coral dips aren't 100% effective and just like fish actually need to be quarantined. I'm sure this is true, but it's a little tougher for some of us to run a quarantine for coral versus fish (lights etc.). So far I've been happy with just dipping, but I'm not into coral like some of the folks on here so take it for what it's worth.

Seachem reef dip. I mix it a little stronger than what's on the bottle. So far I have seen results from using it. If there is something better I may use it but until then I will keep using it

Seachem reef dip. I mix it a little stronger than what's on the bottle. So far I have seen results from using it. If there is something better I may use it but until then I will keep using it
I used that with the first 5 drags I got but then used Bayer for the group I got from the meeting. I won't be using the Bayer again. I really don't know yet what I'm looking for. I mean a worm would be obvious but otherwise how do I know the difference between eggs or sand? And even though I brushed them with a soft toothbrush when I put them in the QT I noticed they still had detritus on them? I don't feel at all comfortable yet taking them off their plugs. I need to go to someone's house and have a lesson :)

If you're ever in Stone Mtn just let me know. I'll show you got to cut, clip, frag and dip and all that other good stuff. I'll even bust out the band saw so you can see what that looks like. I dip in Bayer but only if I"m actively treating something. Normally it's CoralRX, Thrice or Seachem's reef dip.

If you're ever in Stone Mtn just let me know. I'll show you got to cut, clip, frag and dip and all that other good stuff. I'll even bust out the band saw so you can see what that looks like. I dip in Bayer but only if I"m actively treating something. Normally it's CoralRX, Thrice or Seachem's reef dip.
I will make a special trip to Stone Mountain for a lesson. Just tell me when you are planning a dragging session and I'll come and learn everything I can. Well, WE will come. I just do all the talking on the forum, lol.

You are going to want to dip that coral again in a few more days and for good measure once more after a few more days. It may have laid eggs that would just keep on trucking... and its hard to say how long that species takes to hatch.

I'm not sure what kind of flatworm that is from the photo... but there is a type that does eat euphyllia.

I will make a special trip to Stone Mountain for a lesson. Just tell me when you are planning a dragging session and I'll come and learn everything I can. Well, WE will come. I just do all the talking on the forum, lol.
Dang autocorrect! FRAGGING...why doesn't it ever correct real typos?

Back