One or two pumps?

gordob

Market
Reaction score
I'm setting up a 4' 120 gallon tank. For the sump, I'm using a Trigger 36 inch (30 gallons) sump. I'm also connecting a 60 gallon long frag tank to the setup. Both tanks will run through the sump, and I'm plumbing the drains for both separately. My question is about the return pumps. I'm running a Quiet One 4000 (3800 gph) pump, and I also have a 3200 gph pump (can't remember the name). Would I be better off running both sets of return plumbing off of the Quiet One pump and splitting off for each tank, or should I plumb them off of separate pumps?

Not sure if this matters or not, but I'll add it in just in case: I'll have two 1" drains coming from the 120, and one 1" drain coming from the 60 frag tank. There will be two 3/4" returns for each tank.

Thanks in advance!

I'd run both of them, your going to bleed off too much flow by splitting it up. I have a little giant 4 running my 90 display and a blueline 40 running my 40 breeder fuge and 20 gallon secondary sump. I have more power then I ever need with both these pumps but it's better to have too much then too little.

The only potential concern I can see from running 2 pumps (and I agree with the others' logic on it), is the potential for heat. 2 pumps = twice the watts, = twice the heat.

Keep an eye on your temperature, especially with the warmer weather coming. Do you have a chiller on the system?

Thanks, Jenn! I don't have a chiller, but it's in the basement, which normally doesn't get real warm. I'll keep an eye on it though, & bite the bullet if I have to.

Thanks again,

Give me a little while, & I'll have you a ricordea. When I swap tanks, I should be able to frag some.

Back