Onyx Clowns from JJOcean finally laying eggs

bobz

Supporting
Reaction score
Back in June 2011, John gave me a pair of his Onyx juvs and tonight, for the first time, they have layed eggs! The pair is now about two years old and the female was laying eggs tonight. I'm still not in a position to crank up the breeding program again but still very cool to have them spawning now. The male is a very cool misbar and it would be interesting to see if any of the offspring looked similar.
I included an older video of the pair below. Thanks John

<div class="gc_ifarem_title">Onyx clowns - YouTube</div><iframe style="width: 70%; height: 400px; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ToErgKlWezY"></iframe>

They are beautiful. I have one Onyx I raised from eggs I collected at James Cooks. I need to find him a mate soon.

I'm new to the hobby and I love the onyx and black ice clowns are they difficult to come by and expensive? And difficult to keep? Thanks and that is awesome that they are spawning

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Dylan Ringwood;944310 wrote: I'm new to the hobby and I love the onyx and black ice clowns are they difficult to come by and expensive? And difficult to keep? Thanks and that is awesome that they are spawning

Just as easy to keep as any other clowns. Prices on these seem to have come down a lot recently, and i have seen them available at several LFS.

Not sure of all the acronyms yet lfs? And are you still breeding?

Dylan,

I'm not raising any fish right now but there are a few members who are still active. oh, and lfs=local fish store :0)

Ok haha thanks and lfs ice and onyx seem to be like 100$+ for one last time I checked.

Bob - can't believe I missed this post. Congrats on them laying eggs! Really nice to see the pair after all these years. Keep me in the loop if they start laying regular and if/when you raise a clutch.

JJ Ocean;944609 wrote: Bob - can't believe I missed this post. Congrats on them laying eggs! Really nice to see the pair after all these years. Keep me in the loop if they start laying regular and if/when you raise a clutch.

Yes they are always laying eggs but you know how it goes... Until I get off this account not going to be able to raise any. If any wants to grab some eggs just let me know. Bz

bobz;945270 wrote: Yes they are always laying eggs but you know how it goes... Until I get off this account not going to be able to raise any. If any wants to grab some eggs just let me know. Bz

You going to be selling the onxys?

I got one of John's Onyx clowns about 2yrs ago now too. She's doing great but I never picked up a partner for her. I'm shopping around for the right clown but I'm not sure if she'll be accepting of one. She's pretty tolerable of her other tankmates. She looks a lot like your female.
13136645495_3ff2801699.jpg
alt="" />

I've got a pair of C-Quest Onyx laying regularly. Been thinking of raising a batch. I love the Onyx perculas.

Love that little male Bob!

HiImSean;945422 wrote: I got one of John's Onyx clowns about 2yrs ago now too. She's doing great but I never picked up a partner for her. I'm shopping around for the right clown but I'm not sure if she'll be accepting of one. She's pretty tolerable of her other tankmates. She looks a lot like your female.
13136645495_3ff2801699.jpg
alt="" />

I know most people are in to the designer clowns these days but I still prefer the Classics! Nice shot of a beautiful looking Onyx!

Back