opinion on power heads

victor626nj

Market
Reaction score
hey guys i am going to get two of these for my 90 and want to know which one is probably the best i want tobe able to make them change onand of at difrent times for a more natural current i dont have money for tunzes unless someone out there has two with controler for sale for real cheap

Seems like Koralia 4's would be better for you. I'm using a 2 just for circulation on my 36" long softie tank, and Sam at aquabuys said that would be "a good start"

I have a Koralia 3 in my 30 gallon and I love it. Hands down the best water mover. It replaced two mj12s and does a much better job. I agree with Dakota9 that you should look at a couple Koralia 4 in that size tank. I guess it all depends on what you're looking to keep in the tank.

Dakota9;63387 wrote: Seems like Koralia 4's would be better for you. I'm using a 2 just for circulation on my 36" long softie tank, and Sam at aquabuys said that would be "a good start"

Yeap yeap yeap :thumbs:

Koralia 4's "cheap" and good

well i talked to sam from aquabuys and he recomended the 3 two of them cause i want one at each end

Well, if you talked to Sam and he recommended the 3's then go with that, as Sam (nice guy over the phone btw) seems to know his poop!

But stick with Koralia, I've heard great things about them, and well, I just think the Seio's are just kinda ugly in a tank anyway

thats what i am aiming for but the thing with the koralia is that i cant switch them on and off cause of the way there build they will end up breaking when they turn on they like back fire so in doing so they will eventually break ....and yes sam is old school reefer he know his poop like you said lol

You really don't need to turn them off ond on to get random currents. (not like power heads) Their flow patterns are very wide and and relatively gentle. They have a way of mixing up the pattern just by running. 12" 18" away form the pump you'll notice a more random flow pattern. and you can play with the proximity to each other and get even more random patterns.

Roland Jacques;63448 wrote: You really don't need to turn them off ond on to get random currents. (not like power heads) Their flow patterns are very wide and and relatively gentle. They have a way of mixing up the pattern just by running. 12" 18" away form the pump you'll notice a more random flow pattern. and you can play with the proximity to each other and get even more random patterns.
:huh:

i have a request to anyone that doesnt pick the koralia please explain your choice thank you and happy reefings

If you want some serious flow... Resun Waver 15000. About 3000gph give or take (rated at 4000gph but that is reaching) and around $110 on ebay.

showthread.php

Awesome thread/poll! I also have a 90gal with a mix of corals. I currently have 3 MJ1200s and was considering 2 koralia 4's, 2 MJ mods, or 2 Tunze. After seeing this Im about to place an order for 2 k4s from drfostersmith.com. Ive heard too many noise and reliability issues with the mods and the Tunze arent small enough for the price difference in my book.

For the cost savings and increased flow I would go with the mod'd MJ's. They push lots of water, wide pattern and reliability of the MJ!

After writing the last post I thought about the 2 Seio 620s I bought from kappanight and these create some great flow too and are very adjustable compared to most PHs. Just a thought, seem like great quality also!

IMO, the first 2 aren't enough flow for a 90 since it's a tall tank (standard 90, I assume). At 850 and 820 gph respectively, it gives you only about 10x turnover each. A maxijet mod will go into the 1500 gph range which will give you about 17x turnover each. If you went with 3 or more pumps, then I'd vote for the Hydor.

wbholwell;63566 wrote: Cameron, how do you like your Resun? Is the controller holding up?
I gutted the controller as I don't like it and don't need it. Still too lazy to take the time to finish the job, but I have a good excuse now as I am waiting on some a better power brick to run the pumps.

Back