Opinions on black sand

YoungReefer10g

Market
Reaction score
I really love the aesthetic of black sand but i have heard mixed opinions on whether its good or not. I have also heard that it can contain metal. What are your opinions and experiences with black sand?

I really love the aesthetic of black sand but i have heard mixed opinions on whether its good or not. I have also heard that it can contain metal. What are your opinions and experiences with black sand?
Black sand is magnetic so if you are not careful with a magnetic scraper then this could = scratches on glass 😞
Positives about mixed black sand like TLF refugite or other similar products, contains good levels of manganese and is great for LPS and goniopora and macroalgae.

Black sand is magnetic so if you are not careful with a magnetic scraper then this could = scratches on glass 😞
Positives about mixed black sand like TLF refugite or other similar products, contains good levels of manganese and is great for LPS and goniopora and macroalgae.
May be a stupid question. Does the sand being magnetic have any negative effects to the water chemistry or more dangerous for fish?

May be a stupid question. Does the sand being magnetic have any negative effects to the water chemistry or more dangerous for fish?
Depends on what type of sand you are choosing, but
Not typical to have any affect on your fish. Yes, it does affect water chemistry. It contains minerals. Whether that will enhance growth of corals or detract depends. There are lots of good threads on reef chemistry that you can research.

And I’ve never seen magnetic reef sand yet. But if you do find it, then that would be in the presence of iron, nickel, or other magnetic metal. You would want to stay on top of it to make sure it’s not leaching into the water in too high concentrations

And I’ve never seen magnetic reef sand yet. But if you do find it, then that would be in the presence of iron, nickel, or other magnetic metal. You would want to stay on top of it to make sure it’s not leaching into the water in too high concentrations
The old "tahitian moon" sand had some magnetic particles in it but I'm not sure it is still available. Loved it for freshwater tanks.

I use black sand in all my reefs. I've used both the Nature's Ocean and caribSea. I'd probably suggest the caribsea Hawaiian Black over the Nature's Ocean.

I have used the Hawaiian black sand in a few tanks and have not encountered any magnetic particles. In fact I have an unopened back of it you are welcome to

Back