opinions on hermits

matt7

Market
Reaction score
just ordering my CUC for a 120 and debating on hermits. Through my reading it seems like a lot of people absolutely hate them and then some people wouldn't do a reef without them! Personal opinions? And any species you've had very good luck with not killing snails/conchs for their shells?

In my last tank, a LPS/SPS Biocube. I had a few TINY hermits in the main tank and put the larger ones in the back overflow area/fuge where they could eat detritus but not touch the snails. The other thing is I used mainly Mexican turbos that were much larger than the hermits. Also, had an emerald and cleaner shrimp and the tank barely ever had any algae issues.

Where are you ordering from?

I've got scarlets and I've got blue legs. My blue legs piss me off because they pull food out of the acan and anemone mouths when I target feed. The scarlets are a lot more chill and don't really bother the corals. If I could do it again, I wouldn't get blue legs, only scarlets.

i'm ordering from liveaquaria. I like using their build your own cuc feature because they ship it free over I think $75 and you can pick exactly what you want. In my current 120 I used that to fill it and I replenished it once or twice over the 5 years i've had it setup. I've also had good luck with them showing up alive. I have had some issues with fish arriving alive from there, but they have an amazing doa policy so i'm definitely not hesitant to order from there again just because of some bad luck with the fish.

I would recommend getting your CUC from Reef Cleaners... cheaper, more bang for your buck, can pick exactly what you want, and you get plenty of extra shells to help minimize snail death.

nickg;1107891 wrote: Mysaltwaterfishstore.com

Best I've gotten...

really good prices on the livestock, but the $40 shipping... but if it was a fairly large order, great deal!

Yeah, I notmally order with a few friends... makes it way less... I would be in for some stuff if you want to group...

nickg;1107894 wrote: Yeah, I notmally order with a few friends... makes it way less... I would be in for some stuff if you want to group...

I'll let you know if I think I need some more stuff, I ordered some basics from LA. 80 snails or so, a couple conchs, went with a dozen blue leg hermits... hope I don't regret it, pair of peppermint shrimp, see how it goes but I think I should be good for awhile! Only cost me $80 and shipping was free so I'm content.

nickg;1107894 wrote: Yeah, I notmally order with a few friends... makes it way less... I would be in for some stuff if you want to group...

I might want to get that ricordia package in 2-3 weeks.

Back