Opinions on sump size for 65g

lepchitz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im currently building a new stand for my 65g mixed reef tank to accommodate a lager sump underneath. The Pro Clear wet/dry system just isn't keeping up with my tank. Plus with my skimmer and return pump in there, I can't even fit a finger between! I have about 34" of inside to room to work with. I am designing an "electrical wall" inside so that all wires and gadgets are hidden on the right inside of the stand. I am currently looking at the Trigger Systems RUBY30S, and the Eshopps R-200. They are both 30" long and going to be a tight fit. It looks like a step down to the Eshopps R-100 is just too small for what i need. Is there anything in between that I'm missing? Any info would be great! I have also thought about a custom made MRC sump, but don't want to go crazy on $$.

Go as BIG as you can.. Have you thought of any glass tanks? 37 gallon? Several in the 33 inch range.. Baffles are easy!! but yes go as big as you can! NEVER to big..

:faepalm: lol...... I would say a 20gallon would be good.

Go as big as you can but remember you may want to add more stuff under your cabinet later on. Under my 90g I have the ruby30 but I also have a 6 gallon jug for auto top off and now I'm looking for a calcium reactor so I will have to rethink my setup underneath.

I have an RS-200, I want to use it on my build but I would have to do the sump outside of the stand.

I'm considering going smaller but it would have to be something nice

I had a 65 which now serves as my QT tank since I upgraded to a 180. I used a 20 gallon oceanic sump and it was fine.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to be making my own acrylic top off tank, which may have to sit next to stand if I go with the larger sump. I think I have decided to go with the Trigger Systems sump due to quality. I have seen too many Eshopps sumps that bow over time.

The Trigger is a nice sump for the money. I'm very pleased with mine. I got mine from Aquarium Specialty with the ARC discount.

Back