optimum lighting for me?

thewarbrd

Market
Reaction score
I'm running 4 T5's with ice cap reflectors and 2 660's on my 75g. I'm going to throw new bulbs in it to freshen them up (ones I bought were used and they're probably due) and was looking around at the various threads here but most are geared towards folks with 6 or 8 bulb fixtures.

The bulbs that came with the kit are Giesemann... 2 Actinic (front and rear), 1 midday (mid front), 1 Actinic+ (mid back). I'm more after what will keep the corals happy than look at this point. Mostly zoos, couple of kinds of mushrooms, xenia, kenya tree, frogspawn, I may venture into an SPS if this kit can support it mid-high in the tank...

Should I stick with the same bulb config or swap things around for the best coral colors and growth? I was thinking of keeping the actincs and midday and replacing the actinic+ with an aquablue, mainly because I don't like how the + bulb creates a very visible blue band across the tank under it, not having seen one I can only assume the additional spectrum in the aquablue will mute the blue band a bit.

Also, what photo period would you recommend with this new setup? With my old aqualight PC fixture I was running actinics 1p-11p and 10k's 2p-10p, we want the actinics to be on through 11p, so when should things come on to not melt everything? I've dialed the times 1 hour shorter with the T5s so far just to be safe.

Thanks!

I would swap to all ATI and/or KZ lamps. THey are designed to be overdriven and should produce better color and growth.

As far as best PAR for coral growth, I found that the ATI Blue + and Aquablue Special lamps put out very high par, while the red/pink spectrum Procolor is a bit lower.

Color and growth varys a lot, but on a 4 lamp system, I would recommend this for a 20k type look:

Blue +
Aquablue Special
Procolor
Blue +

Or for a little whiter look

Blue +
Aquablue Special
Procolor
Aquablue Special

The second combo I just switched to tonight, and I rally like it. Growth should be good

Oh, and when you change the lamps, be sure to start you photo period off less than usual, and work it back up to your desired photoperiod.

+1 on D's advice. I'd recommend the same bulbs. Well done my young padawan!

Also if you do have 2 660's you could always add up to 4 more bulbs if you can fit em on there. Not entirely necessary as 2 more would be perfect imo for that tank size... but you do appear to have that option.

Yes, 2 ballasts running a pair each, one runs the two actinics and the other runs the midday and actinic+. Not quite enough room for 6 in there without some overlap, but some year when we upgrade to a bigger tank definitely 6 or 8! Do you have any before/after pics Derek? Are yours all-on/all-off or how do you have yours paired for sunrise/sunset? I know pics dont always capture true color.. But I guess I can just get the 2nd ab special for a spare and play with them... :)

After waiting out the backorder, I've got back to front

Blue +
Aquablue Special
Procolor
Blue +

I cant do option 2 as my bulb luck continued with me breaking the end off the other procolor when swapping them around... doh! But what I've got looks pretty good, just a touch on the blue side but I can live with it now that the corals are popping.

Official member of Club T5 now :)

Back