Options for mounting UV

smallblock

Market
Reaction score
I have a emporer 40 watt UV, I'm about to get it ready to go online and would like some advice on how to mount it. I've heard you can mount it vertically , or horizontally. Are there advantages to either. If you mount it horizontally do you need to turn the input and outputs vertical to avoid just half of the UV tube filling up. I'm going to have to run it off a pump from the sump untill I get my manifold built. Also what would be a good pump to use with this unit. Would a maxi jet work or will I need something bigger. The only other pump I have is another mag 7 but I'm enjoying the temp drop I got after I replaced my skimmer and removed the mag 7.
Thanks for your input

Wow, you still havent put that thing in yet?!:D

Mine is mounted horizontal. Whatever you do make sure you can get to it to replace the bulb and sleeve without removing the whole UV. You'll need to clean the sleeves once in a while to get the calcium buildup off. Mine gets so caked every few months..

mine's vertical...

I think it's whatever works for you...

if you can mount it low in the stand (below the water line of your sump) it'll always stay filled with water.. Mine is taller than the water level in my sump, so when I turn off my pump, a portion of it drains empty .. (my apex turns off my UV if my pump is off)

Rbredding;668669 wrote: mine's vertical...

I think it's whatever works for you...

if you can mount it low in the stand (below the water line of your sump) it'll always stay filled with water.. Mine is taller than the water level in my sump, so when I turn off my pump, a portion of it drains empty .. (my apex turns off my UV if my pump is off)

That is a good idea!

If you install with double quick release ball valve unions on both inlet and outlet you'll be able to close all 4 ball valves and then disconnect the unions between the ball valves so that you can remove the entire unit with the only water spillage is that little bit which is between the two valves. That also allows you to continue using your system while it's disconnected.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
669547=31745-DSCN1523.jpg
>
669547=31745-DSCN1523.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSCN1523.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I agree with Kilo about the 2nd set of unions, You can't see them in my pic but they are plumbed in under my stand... Just wished I would've plumbed it below my waterline... :doh:
669565=31746-Aqua UV 40w.jpg
>
669565=31746-Aqua UV 40w.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Aqua UV 40w.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

thanks for the pix guys, buddro and kilo sweet setups!!

Edit: buddyro, I looked on the emporer site and they said like I thought, if you set it up horizontal to turn the inlet outlets up/ vertical, this keeps air out of the unit and helps controls hot spots that can damage the quartz sleeve and eventually the bulb.

kilo32;669547 wrote: If you install with double quick release ball valve unions on both inlet and outlet you'll be able to close all 4 ball valves and then disconnect the unions between the ball valves so that you can remove the entire unit with the only water spillage is that little bit which is between the two valves. That also allows you to continue using your system while it's disconnected.

why would you put a washer/dryer in your fish room ?

:lol2:

Smallblock;669566 wrote: thanks for the pix guys, buddro and kilo sweet setups!!

Edit: buddyro, I looked on the emporer site and they said like I thought, if you set it up horizontal to turn the inlet outlets up/ vertical, this keeps air out of the unit and helps controls hot spots that can damage the quartz sleeve and eventually the bulb.
Thanks SmallBlock, I'll make the changes asap...

Rbredding;669782 wrote: why would you put a washer/dryer in your fish room ?

:lol2:
On the other side of the wall is my display tank and I have nothing under the cabinet. Everything is plumbed through the wall plus the washer can double as my QT.

Rbredding;669782 wrote: why would you put a washer/dryer in your fish room ?

And how exactly do you get any flow throuh the UV with that plumbing setup?

Edit:
Smallblock;668629 wrote: Would a maxi jet work or will I need something bigger.

I run my 25W UV with a Maxijet 1200. Just about perfect flow to achieve perfect dwell time for my 25W unit. While a 1200 would certainly "work" for a 40W unit, I suspect you are not getting as much flow as you could.

Also, the 2" or 3" plastic conduit clamps they sell at HD works great for mounting UV units.

BuddyRo;669792 wrote: Thanks SmallBlock, I'll make the changes asap...

Before you do, do a little research to confirm my findings. Looks like you did alot of work.

Schwaggs;669805 wrote: And how exactly do you get any flow throuh the UV with that plumbing setup?

Edit:

I run my 25W UV with a Maxijet 1200. Just about perfect flow to achieve perfect dwell time for my 25W unit. While a 1200 would certainly "work" for a 40W unit, I suspect you are not getting as much flow as you could.

Also, the 2" or 3" plastic conduit clamps they sell at HD works great for mounting UV units.

I am so glad that you (Schwaggs) happened to post questioning whether I get any flow through my UV with the set up I had because the answer is I wasn't getting adequate flow. It's only when you questioned it that I started to second guess if I was doing it right.

The fix: I added a ball valve between where the UV supply line enters from and exits back to my return line. Now I'm able to turn down the flow to direct more of it towards the UV. I also added a flow meter after the water leaves the UV so that I can dial it down to 150 gph which is what the optimum flow is for my particular Aqua UV 40W. I added a couple of pics showing the new plumbing addition and also the new flow valve. I've also added two media reactors for carbon and gfo. With everything up and running I'm getting 150 gph through my UV, the GFO is tumbling and in checking the returns in the DT I still have decent flow so I'm thinking I'm good for now.
669892=31785-DSCN1527.jpg
>
669892=31785-DSCN1527.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSCN1527.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
669892=31786-DSCN1528.jpg
>
669892=31786-DSCN1528.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSCN1528.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
669892=31787-DSCN1529.jpg
>
669892=31787-DSCN1529.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSCN1529.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Smallblock;669566 wrote: thanks for the pix guys, buddro and kilo sweet setups!!

The inlet/outlet should be up in a horizontal setup, or the inlet on the bottom, outlet on the top in vertical setups (that drain, with a check valve) in the event the feed pump stop. This Maintains water in the UV to "buffer" the temerature swing once the pump kicks back on.

I also axed emporor about converting my unit to incorporate a wiper they said it can be done but wipers can only be used for FW setups, I did not know this. I remember a unit being sold on here and a guy turning it down because it didnt have a wiper. I dont know about other units but emporor doesnt want a wiper used on SW setups.

Back