ORA Pink/Green Birdsnest Graft Picture

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
Here is a pic of a grafted birdsnest colony I have that I have grown from a 1mm growth tip from an ORA Pink and a 1mm growth tip from an ORA Green Birdsnest colony. The pink is growing up out of the center, and is completely surrounded by the green.
Dave
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
300863=15644-BNGraft1.jpg
>
300863=15644-BNGraft1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="BNGraft1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

The pics do not do it justice. Dave showed it to me when I was over picking up some stuff and it is really cool! Of course, at his house you actually don't know where to look because EVERY THING is really cool! great job! :thumbs:

Bob

Nice Dave I am trying something similar with some pink mille and Palmer's right now.

Dave has a beautiful setup will be a TOTM as soon as those corals mature.

Not to mention his Chalice collection. WOW

Joe

sailfish;300887 wrote: Nice Dave I am trying something similar with some pink mille and Palmer's right now.

Dave has a beautiful setup will be a TOTM as soon as those corals mature.

Not to mention his Chalice collection. WOW

Joe

ohhh different colored millies would be awesome too... digitata would probably work as well. i wonder what different types of tabling acro would look like grown together?

This was really just a happy accident. I did this when I was new back into reefkeeping last year. I bought a frag pack and it included pink and green ORA Birdsnest, and the growth tips broke off in shipping, and I was too cheap to throw them away! I just glued them next to each other and the pic is what resulted.

I am not an expert period, but my guess is this: human stem cells are young and undifferentiated, meaning they have the potential to become any type of specialized cell in our bodies and in some cases be transplanted from one person to another, but after they change they will reject any cells outside their own body. I am wondering if growth tips of corals may be similar to stem cells, particularly ones that are in the same genus but different species, like pink and green birdsnest, and that the growth tips may not be differentiated enough to reject or kill each other, the way mature but dissimilar acopora species do.

I don't know you could graft, say the growth tips of a milli and tort, but maybe you could the growth tips of two different millis.
Dave

i think it has more to do with species compatibility. 2 different birdsnest colonies shouldn't interact any different than the multiple branches of one birdsnest. same with millies and monties, i would assume.

not a scientist either, just going on observation.

Maybe you could even get more elaborate. Like cutting tips off of a colony and gluing tips from another onto the stubs. Probably would just create an encrusted dead place, but might be neat.

I always thought it'd ve cool to get an encrusting monti to grow over a dead branching skeleton. I dont think it would work as the monti would 'plate' out looking for a surface, but still a neat imaginary thought.

We could graft different LE corals, maybe get Tyree Purple Pink Lemonade Monster! :D
Dave

This is the collest thing i have seen in a while. And as stated, so much cooler in real life. Dave has a phenomenal setup.

When I have did it with digi they looked more like they coexisted together but did not actually become one. Yours may be different then mine though Dave.

I had one piece that had two colors side by side. They grew together to form one Branch but were still separate. I have also glued a green tip to a orange body and both lived.

For my milles I am not going to truly graft them just intermingle them.

Joe

Back