Ordering new light bulbs / need a primer on MH and actinic lighting

maelstrom79

Supporting
Reaction score
I have a 48" coralife aqualight pro fixture, 2 x 150 w HQI MH, 2 x 96 w square pin actinics.... Moonlights are doing fine... On a 72 bow. I don't have the ballast information with me but I know they are coralife ballasts, I suspect that they are the standard ballast that comes with it.

http://www.marinedepot.com/lighting_metal_halide_coralife_aqualight_pro-ap.html">http://www.marinedepot.com/lighting_metal_halide_coralife_aqualight_pro-ap.html</a>

I know it's an older light but I got it used with my current setup. I suspect it is time to replace the lights but (embarrassingly) I know very little about Lighting in general. I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction to learn more and also have a few questions for you all:

1.) what are the best bulbs to replace these with to achieve good growth? (links are appreciated!!)
2.) should I consider new ballasts at some point (if I'm able to replace them)
3.) what is the best actinic bulb to put in there? Presently I believe it's a 480/460 mix (from memory!!!)

Thanks for any help you all can give me on this!! :shades:

I had the same exact same fixture for 6 years. It was a great combo light. I bought the Phoneix 14k bulbs for halide replacement and they were super..love the color and my corals thrived. For Actinics , i used the 03(Blue)...It worked well for me..any other questions..PM me....Soxx

Maelstrom79;798414 wrote: I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction to learn more

First thing to learn is that a "Bulb" is something you plant in the ground. You put a "Lamp" in a light fixture. :yay: OK, sorry I couldn't resist.

I always used the 10k ushio with super actinics. I never loved the 14k lamps. Such a matter of preference. I would go to a store like pure reef and look at the corals under the lights they have running. Also, I remember a site that posted picks of all types of halide with actinic combos. Might be useful for you. Also remember that you can always go with something thats commonly used and change it out next time to something different.

Also on your question here
2.) should I consider new ballasts at some point (if I'm able to replace them)

If they arent buzzing loudly or flickering they are probable fine.

I would replace the PC over to t5 and keep the fixture. Bulbs will be much cheaper, easier to find, brighter, and last a heck longer. There's nothing wrong with the fixture if you have been successful with it.

Thanh, don't you have to do some kind of electrical work to switch to T5? Dustin, the only time I hear any noise is when I turn on one of the ballasts and that is brief. Touché, RD! Soxx, thanks for the info!!

Maelstrom79;798560 wrote: Thanh, don't you have to do some kind of electrical work to switch to T5? Dustin, the only time I hear any noise is when I turn on one of the ballasts and that is brief. Touché, RD! Soxx, thanks for the info!!

To convert to T5 you would have to change the ballast that feeds them as well as the "Tombstones" (the sockets that the lamp attaches too). Not a difficult thing to do.

I'm pretty sure that is my old fixture and i always ran phoenix 14k. I had just changed to 250's when i got totm. People didn't believe that i had grown acros in a 120 with that light. did you buy it from Ibleedblue? I think that was his screename

Back