Ordering Optics for LED fixtures

porpoiseaquatics

Market
Reaction score
Anybody found a good place to order just the optics? I'd like to find some 60 degree optics to put on my MM LED after I change out a bunch of the chips. I figured, might as well do it all at one time.

I use Ali Express for almost all my LED needs but that may not be practical if your not ordering in bulk or you could find others wanting in to make it worthwhile. Steve's LED's offers optics for 3 Watt. They are out of Texas and have a good reputation.

Stevesleds.com

Before you go out and spend money on lens. I just wanted you to know that I went throught that whole lens deal when I first ordered my LEDs. 60 degree lens will definitely give you a lot of penetration and increase Pars. However they also decrease your coverage. It would look like you have a projector cone beam. I eventually went to 90 degree in which it helps to increase my coverage in my tank , but of course doing that it also decreases my penetration. I ended up removing the lens after talking to another member who also have the same lights that I have and I found my coverage was the same as of MH. Right now my sand bed Pars area round 300-400.

purpleGORILLA;801343 wrote: Before you go out and spend money on lens. I just wanted you to know that I went throught that whole lens deal when I first ordered my LEDs. 60 degree lens will definitely give you a lot of penetration and increase Pars. However they also decrease your coverage. It would look like you have a projector cone beam. I eventually went to 90 degree in which it helps to increase my coverage in my tank , but of course doing that it also decreases my penetration. I ended up removing the lens after talking to another member who also have the same lights that I have and I found my coverage was the same as of MH. Right now my sand bed Pars area round 300-400.

Yes, it depends on how high the lights are mounted off the water and how deep the tank is.

I am REAL curious though at your getting 300-400 PAR on the sandbed with LEDs and 90 deg optics. Are those MM LEDs? How deep is your tank?

I'm not worried about coverage because I use 2 fixtures over a 30 x 30 cube anyway just to make sure I get the coverage. Neither have optics and one fixture won't do it.

I used Ali to purchase the dimmables that I had and then sold. Great place to purchase if you are buying in bulk.

I do want to see what else is said about coverage. Steve's LEDs (mentioned above) says no optics unless your tank is over 31" deep and does not incorporate a hood/canopy. Very interesting.

porpoiseaquatics;801362 wrote: I do want to see what else is said about coverage. Steve's LEDs (mentioned above) says no optics unless your tank is over 31" deep and does not incorporate a hood/canopy. Very interesting.

I concur. I designed my lighting from a setup that was built in So. Colorado. I was informed that I did not need optics and if I decided to use them later, it was an easy add. Well 2+ years later without optics, I experience good growth and a well lit tank with nice coloration. I use Bridgelux LED's and the setup that mine was designed after is featured on the Bridgelux Ali Express vendor site. I would save the money and if you feel you need them, add later (FWIW).

For what it is worth, I have no idea what the par is on my sand using MM fixtures with no optics. But, I am getting good growth, good coverage and I like the look. Not going to fix something that isn't broken. Well at least not this time.

coolsurf;801377 wrote: I concur. I designed my lighting from a setup that was built in So. Colorado. I was informed that I did not need optics and if I decided to use them later, it was an easy add. Well 2+ years later without optics, I experience good growth and a well lit tank with nice coloration. I use Bridgelux LED's and the setup that mine was designed after is featured on the Bridgelux Ali Express vendor site. I would save the money and if you feel you need them, add later (FWIW).

I agree. I've been running Bridgelux LEDs for about a year.

Edit:
rdnelson99;801385 wrote: For what it is worth, I have no idea what the par is on my sand using MM fixtures with no optics. But, I am getting good growth, good coverage and I like the look. Not going to fix something that isn't broken. Well at least not this time.

I agree

JeF4y;801348 wrote: Yes, it depends on how high the lights are mounted off the water and how deep the tank is.

I am REAL curious though at your getting 300-400 PAR on the sandbed with LEDs and 90 deg optics. Are those MM LEDs? How deep is your tank?

I don't have MM lights..My lights are rated higher in both wattage and also cost a little more. The 300-400 is off a standard height 27 tank and with NO LENs...

By the way Jeff, if you still are determined to get the lens. I have some depending on how many you are looking for. Or you get them from Ebay.

purpleGORILLA;801640 wrote:

By the way Jeff, if you still are determined to get the lens. I have some depending on how many you are looking for. Or you get them from Ebay.

What degree do you have and how many? I may only do the center rows.

Back