Oregon Reef Crashes !!

broreefr

Market
Reaction score
showthread.php

wow, that guy's tank was one of my favorites. great site and the amount of money that just died probably isn't worth calculating... :(

here's a shot of steve's tank before this incident:
p_009_l.jpg
alt="" />

Thats just sickening. I recently lost 99% of my aggressive fish in a heater meltdown,which is nothing compared to his loss.I could only imagine the disgust he had when he first got home.

I have looked at that tank in the past and was amazed at its creation. Sorry to hear about his problem. WE calculated the cost, which was >$50k

Well, ultimately he over-reacted and killed the tank himself. The equipment worked fine.

46bfinga;31436 wrote: Thats just sickening. I recently lost 99% of my aggressive fish in a heater meltdown,which is nothing compared to his loss.I could only imagine the disgust he had when he first got home.

A lesson to all for sure. Even experienced reefkeepers make simple mistakes that lead to disaster. I feel for the guy and hopefully he won't get too discouraged. Maybe his reef club will come through for him and get him back on track.

I must say though... the three or four tank crashes I've heard about over the last year have been in somewhat high-tech reefs.

Probably because it is a suprise such a large tank bites it. I am guessing a lot of smaller tanks go down but with little notice.

heh... and yet there are still folks out there that say tap water is "okay"
hmm...

tsciarini;31548 wrote: heh... and yet there are still folks out there that say tap water is "okay"
hmm...

Yeah but was it the tap Water or the Dechlorinator, I know sps's are finicky, but could tap water really have done that? wow !

The thread was started 5 days ago and has almost 15,000 views and close to 200 replies of sympathy. I think that tank going down sent shockwaves through the Reef community, I mean it was the one we lived by. He had dual pumps, dual chillers, and heaters, he believed in redundancy for safety sake, and in the end it was a simple reefkeeping mistake.

I am sure he will be back, but in the meantime here is one I drool over quite a bit
a>

Yeah, I don't think it was the tap water that caused the issue... Tap water isn't great but it shouldn't kill all SPS and LPS...

I concur. I highly doubt it was the tap water that killed everything. I would assume that it would have only created some nuisance algae and introduced some phosphates. In a tank that large, I don't think some tap water would do much of anything. Unless he had major chemical components and treatment in his water supply. But he states that his water out of the tap isn't bad, so this is why I doubt the water.

Now as for the de-chlorinator, that's another story. He would have been better off adding straight tap water than trying to treat it. And would have been better off yet, like he said, just running pumps and letting the new water be made over the 2 day span.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

(yiiippeeee 500!!!)

Broreefr;31554 wrote:
I am sure he will be back, but in the meantime here is one I drool over quite a bit
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/totm/index.php">http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/totm/index.php</a>[/QUOTE]

WOW! I think I'd take that one over steve's :P. Simply gorgeous.

Yeah, I REALLY love that one too. I'm usually not a fan of curved glass fronts but I guess concave works better than bow out tanks.

The entire system was 850g the backend (sump, refugium, skimmers, plumbing, reactors, etc.) of the system easily held about 350 gallons.

Back