ORP Reading?

tgray3

Market
Reaction score
So, I got a good deal on a Hanna combination PH/ORP/Temp meter. I've read some past threads here and elsewhere that said not to put too much stock in the ORP readings as there are way too many factors that can effect it and they are really only used if you are running ozone in the tank which i am not. But i got a good deal on it and i was playing around with it this afternoon.

The readings i got are confusing though. The probe is reading correct as far as i can tell when checked with a 200-275mv calibration fluid (it read 218mv) When i checked fresh RO/DI water it read 108mv and the tank water was reading 168mv. That sounds strange to me. The directions say that the ORP is factory calibrated and if it needs recalibration to send it in. The tank inhabitants are fine and show no signs of stress and I'm getting nice growth and polyp extension on all the coral (SPS/LPS & softies)

I was wondering what readings other people are getting and any thoughts you all had on this. The PH and temp functions of the meter were correct when checked against another coralife thermometer and PH against a Seachem test kit.

IME, ORP probes need some time to "settle" in the medium they are testing. Are your reading after a quick dip?

Yeah the reading is a quick dip. I have noticed the readings climb up after soaking the probe for 30 min in tank water. They reached 240mv after the soak. I'm thinking that there may be some residual storage solution dried on the probe. I'm going to soak it over night and see where I'm at tomorrow.

Back