ORP rising

Shawn

Market
Reaction score
So - My orp used to chill around 280. Around mid November I got my frag tank up and running and it's fed into the same sump as my display. Having removed frags from my display, I had room for more rock. Since then, my ORP has increased to 360ish, and continues to gradually climb. Which leaves me with two questions.

1) Is this rising orp caused by the added rock? It's really the only thing I changed.
2) At what point does ORP get too high?

Any insight would be appreciated.

I’ve noticed same thing with my tank over exactly same period. I think it’s due to cleaner water and my ph has been higher as well.

As systems mature it tends to get a little higher. Adding water volume helps too. Make sure you clean the probe tip with your regular pH probe cleanings. Organics and deposits will effect the readings.

One way to think of ORP is the relative availability of electrons in an aqueous environment. This is what dictates certain types of reactions to occur (reduction=added electrons).

A positive value, above zero, is indicative of a generally increasingly ‘cleaner’ environment. A value of around 400 has often be given as ‘normal’ for a healthy aquarium. At 400 mV there is also generally a lower population of free bacteria in the water column. The reason is that they get ‘oxidized’ due to the available electrons around them.

In summary, congratulations, you seem to have a healthy reef tank. Your water quality appears to be excellent.

One way to think of ORP is the relative availability of electrons in an aqueous environment. This is what dictates certain types of reactions to occur (reduction=added electrons).

A positive value, above zero, is indicative of a generally increasingly ‘cleaner’ environment. A value of around 400 has often be given as ‘normal’ for a healthy aquarium. At 400 mV there is also generally a lower population of free bacteria in the water column. The reason is that they get ‘oxidized’ due to the available electrons around them.

In summary, congratulations, you seem to have a healthy reef tank. Your water quality appears to be excellent.

The best answer award for a thread award once more goes to Bill :). I was going to answer but thought... No... wait for Bill silly.

Back