Out of town!

sbmille2

Supporting
Reaction score
I have been traveling a ton recently and have several upcoming trips. Most are over the weekends but I'm headed to Italy from June 17-26 and looking for some help feeding/watching over my tank. I have a maintenance company coming once or twice over the 10 days but ideally would like someone to check up on it and feed every other day. I live in Buckhead and willing to discuss some compensation. Thanks!

Auto feeders are wonderful!
I used the Eihem for years, using Apex now with Eihem for misc freeze dried foods when gone.
If you get it all set up and working properly a week or so prior to leaving, you'll be comfortable. It may even spoil you and make you lazy like me. I have mine feed twice a day (small amounts) everyday. Then I'll feed a tasty frozen treat once a day when I've got the time.

I would just have the maintenance company do the feeding. Two feedings over nine days won't hurt anything.
Maybe I've been fortunate, but I've left tanks for longer and never had an issue. The only precautions I take is to dial back the photo period so I don't come back to a lot of algae, and I also shut down the sump and move the heaters into the display to guard against a pump failure.

I already have an autofeeder and love it. It's more i just got done fighting a horrendous battle with ick and this system is relatively new since i moved and upgraded. Its just way more comforting knowing someone who understands tanks to set eyes on it instead a friend of mine that will just come feed them how I showed them to do it.

Don't hate me if you don't like my experience of success...

Unless you have something very special that needs to be fed often (and I'm not sure what that would be). ... Let it go.

I have traveled much in the past and left my tanks as long as two weeks. I have never lost a fish or coral during that time. I did tend to lower the temp a few degrees (say from 78 to 72) or some such.

Almost no aquarium inhabitant dies from under feeding. Anyone you hire or ask to feed your tank will be geometrically more likely to kill them than lack of food.

Just my $.02 worth,

johnny

I'm right off Piedmont rd in Buckhead. It's not so much much the feeding that i'm worried about, it's more just making sure the system is running correctly. I can get a friend to feed but they would have no idea if a fish is sick or the calcium reactor isn't dialed in correctly, etc. Just more comforting knowing that a "fish" person is setting eyes on the system while I'm a 10 hr flight away.

johnqx4;1087270 wrote: Don't hate me if you don't like my experience of success...

Unless you have something very special that needs to be fed often (and I'm not sure what that would be). ... Let it go.

I have traveled much in the past and left my tanks as long as two weeks. I have never lost a fish or coral during that time. I did tend to lower the temp a few degrees (say from 78 to 72) or some such.

Almost no aquarium inhabitant dies from under feeding. Anyone you hire or ask to feed your tank will be geometrically more likely to kill them than lack of food.

Just my $.02 worth,

johnny

I agree 100%!!

Even if it is a reef friend/neighbor that has 50 years experience. No one has the knowledge or experience with YOUR set up! Things can go wrong REAL fast when unfamiliar people start messing/touching unfamiliar reef tanks.

From personal experience, I'll never ask anyone to stop over to feed, dose or check daily. HOWEVER to "check in" when gone for 4,5+ days is somthing I will do and this is the only type of help I Recommend.

Thankfully I had a reefer fiend stop to check in when I was gone awhile back. On day 6, I asked him to check in on it but the lockbox code wouldn't let him inside. I asked him to "break in" my house to take a peak for me.
It's hard to judge ATO water usage when gone because I praise my AC in the house. I was worried id be out of water in ATO but what he found was much worse.

My ATO was not powered on and hadn't been since I left town. The return pump was sucking air and wouldn't have lasted the several more days until my return home.
It would've burned up my pump and ... He REALLY saved me!

I've had bad experiences as well when asked for A friend refer to stop over daily. It wasn't horrible but not good and would NEVER again ask other than to peak in and make sure it's running OK with enough water food etc. to keep things running properly.

Two weeks is a while but with auto feeder, Apex, auto top off water etc.

>HOWEVER to "check in" when gone for 4,5+ days is something I will do and this is the only type of help I Recommend.

On this, I would concur :)

I didn't mean to sound too militant. Just don't let anyone put anything into your tank(s). It is not worth the risk (IMHO).

jg

Back