Overactive Skimmer after Water Change

tyleratl

Market
Reaction score
I just did a 4.5 gallon water change in my 34 gallon tank. Immediately after turning the protein skimmer back on, it began foaming madly but producing only clear residue in the cup. It had been working great and was getting the dark colored stinky stuff out. Why after the water change?

did the water level where your skimmer is pulling from change at all? also if you stirred up anything in the tank while changing the water it will cause it to pull more foam than you normally see.

The water level did not change. I have it at the same point as before. I tried not to stir up the substrate, but who knows.... maybe a little. I use DI water tested for 0 TDS before mixing with Red Sea Coral Pro salt and aging the mixed water for 24 hours with an airstone and heater.

what type of skimmer are you using? how do you ensure that the water level did not change at all? how long did it product extra foam or is it still doing it?

I am using a Red Sea skimmer built into a tank called a Red Sea Max. Water level appears the same to me. It is still foaming but not as much. It's a clean foam, not a dirty foam.

i believe that with that type of skimmer it will require a fair bit of tinkering from time to time to dial it in. the reason i ask about water depth is that with your less high end skimmers a small change in the depth will really mess with your skimmmate. i had this issue with an old skimmer of mine until i purchased an auto top off system to ensure the water depth was always exactly the same.

This skimmer has a pump at the bottom with an air inlet that you can turn up or down. Although it has been working perfectly until I did the water change, I just reduced the air to the inlet. I'll see what that does.

there should also be a way to restrict the amount of water leaving the skimmer which will allow you to raise/lower the water in the reaction chamber. based on what you are describing i would let more water out of the chamber. i always take the air valves off of my skimmers as more air usually equals more/better foam.

There is no way to adjust water in or out. See redseamax.com if you curious about the built in skimmer.

Did you add any additives when doing the water change? For example, some very viscous water conditioners will drive the skimmers crazy. Or how about a probiotic, like prodibio. Likewise with that.

Im not familiar with that product, but that may have done it. How long did you mix your saltwater before adding it? I have found that sometimes saltwater that is not thoroughly mixed will also have this effect.

The salt was mixed for about 24 hours. However, I added the Red Sea Buff to the mix today. This product contains sodium bicarbonate, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and boron. Instructions recommend weekly use at a rate of 5 ml per 30 gallons done in conjunction with weekly 10% water changes.

Well, I dont know if that would do it or not. I just know certain things drive a skimmer crazy. Maybe someone else can comment, or you can "test" it at a later point by adding some and watching your skimmer. Did you by chance clean your skimmer during the water change? That, too may have bumped the performance. At any rate, it will likely slow down, so just keep an eye on your salinity and water level.

i think we have a winner! whenever you clean the cup/neck of a skimmer it will usually foam a little more than normal until it breaks back in.

Back