Overfeeding Question

curator

Market
Reaction score
Is the danger of overfeeding that the fish will expell large amounts of waste, or that there may be uneaten food that will fould the water. If one has many crabs/snails, etc., won't hey consume much of the waste?

Thanks,

John

Basically what you add in you tank stays in unless it's taken out by skimming or water changes. No matter who consumes it. Fish food contains phosphates and other elements that we are trying to rid our tanks, not ad more. I would definitely try not to overfeed any tank.

Mark,

Please clarify. Should I feed my fish until they won't eat any more?

Well, after talking to Anthony Calfo over the weekend I'm pretty sure it would be from uneaten food and not enough filtration. He basically encourages getting lots of fish and feeding very well. He said this benefits in coral nitrogen intake and aids in growth of both the coral and fish.

Oh..sorry! Mis-understood the question. The best way to feed is only put in what they can eat in less than 5 minutes. This helps to keep the amount of food the ends up behind rocks, etc from decomposing. If you can feed a little at a time maybe 3 times a day that is optimal. But if you have a life schedule like the most of us, it's one big feeding once a day. Hope that helps!

John is spot on too!

I feed A LOT. I redefine overfeeding.

You're better feeding multiple times a day, what they can consume within a couple of minutes.

Back