Overflow cover replacement???

atlcpa

Market
Reaction score
I'm trying to rehab an old tank that needs some work. Between the stand, glass, etc, I'm having the most difficulty with the overflow cover. Does anyone on the planet sell replacement covers? I need a black cover for a 55g tank that's 20 inches high. Seems like that would be a simple request, but I can't find one anywhere.

AtlCPA;1094323 wrote: I'm trying to rehab an old tank that needs some work. Between the stand, glass, etc, I'm having the most difficulty with the overflow cover. Does anyone on the planet sell replacement covers? I need a black cover for a 55g tank that's 20 inches high. Seems like that would be a simple request, but I can't find one anywhere.
can you post a pic? I may have something laying around

There is a couple if options. If Im understanding what you need is an acrylic overflow. Glass Cages can send you one if they already offer that size in one of their custom tanks. Otherwise, I highly recommend Chris with Alien Ocean (he's an ARC member) he does custom acrylic work.

Thanks for the help. I will post a pic when I get a chance tomorrow

GUmbjs.jpg
>http://imageshack.com/a/img923/5636/GUmbjs.jpg</a>

Try this link. When I posted the pic, if was humongous. The cover is 10.25 inches wide and 5 inches deep

grouper therapy;1094475 wrote: order a piece of black acrylic from ebay and I can cut it for you.

I may take you up on that grouper. At about 20 inches high, do I need to be concerned about bowing if I only go with 1/4 inch thick or it won't matter for an overflow cover?

I'm actually building my 25 gallon sump with acrylic and head to get thick enough acrylic to hold the water pressure.

You are looking for a cover just for the overflow, right? If so, all you need is 1/8" acrylic. It will not bow enough to cause a problem. That is what I've had on mine for years.

I made mine from 1/8 acrylic from Home Depot and painted them black. Grouper's suggestion to go with black acrylic will result in a better, more durable cover.

dball711;1094551 wrote: Did the original one break?

No, it's just pretty nasty inside and the calcium or whatever it is on the outside. I'm doing a lot of work to this tank and thought if easy enough I'll replace the overflow cover.

Wipe it down or soak in vinegar, should come right off...much easier than replacing.

Back