Overflow Plumbing

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, So i just got a 90gal tank that im trying to setup. The over flow currently has four holes, two for what I believe is setup like a Bean overflow but no emergency pipe. The other two, which are the outside holes are the return pipes. I really want to have an emergency pipe. Should I take away a return for the emergency pipe and stick with the Bean or go with a Herbie setup and keep the other two for the return?

I always make an emergency overflow if only 2 holes. You know I own a 2nd floor condo. If there's a catastrophe I'm responsible for damage done downstairs. I usually run a durso standpipe with a straight pipe for emergency. Then put a gate valve under the durso under the tank to quiet down the noise. I then run a hang on back style return. Works great gimme a call if you need help I can stop by after work this week.

Attachments

• 15657400334321304104008.jpg
    15657400334321304104008.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 1565740061702507627952.jpg
    1565740061702507627952.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
Forgot to add make your return doesn't create a siphon! I don't bother with check valves I feel they are unreliable and need cleaning every now and then to work properly.either make sure it's on the tip top of the display or just drill 3 small holes in the return immediately below the water surface

Hey guys and gals, So i just got a 90gal tank that im trying to setup. The over flow currently has four holes, two for what I believe is setup like a Bean overflow but no emergency pipe. The other two, which are the outside holes are the return pipes. I really want to have an emergency pipe. Should I take away a return for the emergency pipe and stick with the Bean or go with a Herbie setup and keep the other two for the return?

Haha - seems like we're doing almost the exact same setup!

I only have two holes drilled in mine, 1" and 3/4". I'm considering doing the hang-on-back return as well, but I sure liked the idea of the clean setup through the bottom.

I think the emergency drain is more important than the aesthetics of the back that you can't even see in my setup, though.

Mine only had a 1" and a 3/4" too, i used those for primary (3/4", full siphon w/gate valve) and secondary (1", trickle), and I drilled the back to put another 1" in the overflow section for emergency drain. I also drilled two holes for return but over the top would serve as well.20180607_112434.jpg

Those unions seem excessive

Looks good! I think I’m just going to load up on powerheads and do the single return up the back in the center. The segmented, sectional hose still the standard for returns?

TIL this forum doesn’t copy over the lol emoji very well. ;)

Back