Overflow question

1percula

Market
Reaction score
I just setup my 90 gallon tank. I am getting an awful lot of noise from my return pcv. There is a small hole at the top of the return. Water is gushing out and hitting the inside of the overflow (reef ready) and it is pretty loud. I thought for a minute that I may not have enough water in the tank, but when I pull the plug on the pump, the sump fills to about 1 inch below the top. When I cover the hole with my finger the sound goes away.
Any ideas?

By what you describe it sounds like a siphon break drilled lower than it should be. If that's the case, I'd plug that hole and drill a new one on the linelock or spray bar or whatever you have, OUTSIDE the overflow box but just below the waterline. Drill it facing below the middle of the pipe, so it goes somewhat downward.
Mine are that way and they don't do anything funky, they just break the siphon like they're supposed to. By the amount you say drains to the sump, and the location they are, it sounds like you have more water leaving than you should before the siphon break stops it.

Usually the hole in the return line is facing down and should be just under water so it doesn't splash but is close to the surface to provide a syphon break if the pump is off. Can you take a picture of it? Might help to get ideas on what to do.

Can't take a pic right now, still working on it. I think you are right about the hole being too high. I think I might turn it upside down and put a lower hole in it.

You may be able to stick a 2" piece of airline tubing in the hole and eliminate the sound.

1PERCULA;340456 wrote: Can't take a pic right now, still working on it. I think you are right about the hole being too high. I think I might turn it upside down and put a lower hole in it.

To clarify, I think the hole is in the wrong place, not too high. It should be just below the waterline in the tank, but if it's inside the overflow (unless you run the overflow water very high) that's likely above the water, which is the reason for the spray. It should be pretty high, but UNDERWATER and facing downward. If you do it that way you'll never know it's there.

Fish Scales2;340470 wrote: You may be able to stick a 2" piece of airline tubing in the hole and eliminate the sound.

Exactly what I did on my old 90 and worked like a charm. Had to enlarge the hole a little to make it work, but no problems.

Back