Overflows VS Drilled ????

jetchris

Market
Reaction score
Ok I pretty much have my mind set on the 120g standard AGA tank. I have 2 options - first being a RR tank and second being not RR tank. I am not crazy about the overflows for that tank. If I bought one not RR and I drilled 2 ea holes 1 hole in either upper back corner and made durso standpipes "outside of the tank," wouldnt that basically be the same thing as an RR tank. Of course put a little notched box around the both holes to act as surface skimmers. So I guess my question is , would this work as well as a factory RR tank. I just think that those overflows on the factory tank are so big and ugly I would like to do away with them if it is advantageous.<----big word :D
Thanks for all your help.

Don't know if it helps, but my dream tank is a 180g with a divider right down the middle of the tank. The front part is 120g with the back part being 60g divided into sections for skimming, fuge and return. Virtually zero plumbing. Much like the Finnex tanks only much bigger. Very similar in concept to overflows being put outside the tank... can't see why it won't work.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
63011=4215-MTG-2402c.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
63011=4215-MTG-2402c.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="MTG-2402c.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

If you look at the diagram, it is very similar to what you are describing. The big difference is that this system is self contained rather than running down the back to a sump. However both systems should work fairly well for removing the overflows from the inside of the tank.

You could just use a surface box from a old hob overflow and drill around it then use it for the skimming. You would drill a hole in the tank fut a bigger hole in the overflow box then silly cone it in place and blam there ya go.

Just like the one in the pic. This is one I did the same as I described.
63015=4216-HPIM5664.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
63015=4216-HPIM5664.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="HPIM5664.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

so it would work pretty much the same. Cameron i see what you are saying and it would make a cool tank.

If i am gonna drill all the holes , i guess i should do a closed loop as well, with 2 ea 1 1/2" holes for the suction and have that hooked up to a OM 4way!

Yeah pretty much. You just don't have that extra box like Finnex above on the back. Instead you have an integrated overflow of sorts. If was building a system like the one you described I would use that zero noise overflow though. You need at least two drains to make it work, but it is completely silent.

Alan did you drill that yourself :) Cameron can you explain how to make a zero noise overflow or a link? thanks

I enlarged the holes. But yes I have drilled other tanks before. I drilled these 3 holes in a 20 long
63020=4217-IM005798.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
63020=4217-IM005798.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IM005798.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I used a dremel but the diamond hole saw bits would make life so much easier. LOL.

dawgdude;63038 wrote: Hey Alan you always take pics of your tank without a shirt on? (nice reflection in the last pic lol!)

Nice catch... Still better then seeing the reflection of Tony in his computer monitor though!

Nice camera form!

Cameron...I really like that design. I'm a big fan of the false back. It's like a monster aquapod...perfect for those us that are lazy and like the all-in-one style.

Back