Overflows

mockery

Market
Reaction score
Is it easier to build an HOB overflow or just buy one. And why do you have to watch for air bubbles. Do these have a high risk of failing?

I don't know that seams like to muck for my 37 gallon? i'll get back to you if that is ok with you.

If you want to build one try this page. This is an incredable site for acrylics anyway.

a>

Chrisjet-At first i wanted to drill it but my parents would not let me. So then i did not care cause at first did plan to have the sump. Now i want one but i don't want to do. Now the tank is up and running so i don't want to drill. I don't want to risk it cracking. And i don't know what sides are tempered.

Roundman- That site is why i wanted to start a sump.

Buy a quality overflow is my vote. One of the last items in a system you want to fail.

Hey seedless can you post some pics of the one your selling?? And how much you want for it

its just your typical 600 gph overflow.

I was using 2 u tubes in it. Chris is right drilling is the only way to go. Overflows are obtrusive and noisy.

Id take like uhhhh 20 bucks? but honestly I would feel guilty selling it to you because IMHO they suck.

Mockery;136457 wrote: Now the tank is up and running so i don't want to drill. I don't want to risk it cracking. And i don't know what sides are tempered.

You don't need to drain the tank to drill it; you just lower the water level. Seedless Reefer drilled his with all the sand, LR & livestock remaining in the tank and did a super job. Chrisjet was his tutor and is very good at this; it would be worth having him at least stop by and look at your tank to advise. Also, it may be that just the bottom is tempered and not the sides.

Mine's all tempered... :(

I like my HOB overflow ok, but it is a little bit of an eyesore. If you can drill, do it. If not, I have thought about using the hob overflow but modifying the inner box (the most visible/ugly part) to be longer, yet shallower and thinner. That way it's less obtrusive. Plus, if I could make it black, it might be even better.

The way I figure, I can use pretty thin lexan from HDepot since the box wont have much stress on it.

overflowinner.jpg
alt="" />

I know it doesn't look like much of an improvement, but I think it be the lesser of 2 evils, and might be worth it. Plus, the fact that it would be thinner would make it easier to put a little LR in front of it, concealing it even more.

BTW, I didn't mean to hijack. Just wanted to share this and maybe get some feedback in the process.

Cameron is right about if you are going to go w/an overflow make it a good one. I flooded my Dad's office when I was in highschool using a crapy overflow. I still hear about it 8 years later.

Yeah well i don't know what i'm going to do. Just got my wisdom teeth out so everything is on hold

Back