Overgrowth of Xenia

curator

Market
Reaction score
My elongated xenia has become a bit too vigorous and I need to take some out. Some of the rocks they are attached to are ones I can't take out of the tank. If I use a razor blade to cut them off...how can I assure they won't grow back from the base?

Thanks,

John

problem with xenia is that it will never die in some people tank and will never grow on other no matter what happen.

You are stuck with it.

Try to remove the rock and make sure you got all of it out. Even a smallest root will regrow

Mine were taking over my tank as well. I was getting xenia heads sprouting out in random areas. I took all my rock out, pegged my rock into 2 colums, and had my Xenia isolated on a rock on the very bottom of the tank in the sand with no rock rearby for the xenia to attach itself to. Every now and then I will se a sprout of xenia and I will just take the rock, flip it over in the sand and leave it there for a few days. The xenia will die.

For the rock upon which it is growing that I am able to remove from the tank...is there a way to rid the rock of it?

You can remove the xenia from the rock. You just have to grab the stalk near the bottom and used your fingers to "scrape" the base off the rock.

I do this all the time-much better than razor

Spread some kalk paste on the areas of the rock where the xenia was attached and it won't come back. In the alternative you can remove the xenia and then put the rock in an unlighted part of your sump for a lil bit.

Curator;230324 wrote: For the rock upon which it is growing that I am able to remove from the tank...is there a way to rid the rock of it?

You could put it in Lee's tank for a few days...

:whistling:

Back