Overlow pipe size from tank to sump

rmorris

Reaction score
I am setting up a new Marineland 93 gallon reef-ready tank and have a question on what size to use on the overflow line from the tank to the sump.

The overflow pipe that came with the tank (from the top of the tank to the bottom outlet bulkhead) is 1 1/2" PVC but goes into a reducer at the bottom that takes it down to 1" to go through the bulkhead. My sump has single inlet that is also 1" pipe. The return plumbing is all 1" pipe.

So is there any advantage at all (quieter? flow?) going with anything bigger than 1" from the overflow to the sump? Or is it the same if I just plumb everything at 1"?

Thanks!

Are you sure it's 1-1/2" reduced to 1"? My Marineland tank was 1-1/4" to 1". They've engineered it to keep enough back pressure on the standpipe so that it minimizes noise from the flow of the water. I used 1" afterwards to maintain said pressure. You could always reverse it so that it's bigger once it clears the bulkhead but my fear would be that you'll get noise.

thats the way my deep blue 80 is also. it just helps keep the stand pipe more full of water so that you reduce fall noise inside the pipe

porpoiseaquatics;1109387 wrote: Are you sure it's 1-1/2" reduced to 1"? My Marineland tank was 1-1/4" to 1". They've engineered it to keep enough back pressure on the standpipe so that it minimizes noise from the flow of the water. I used 1" afterwards to maintain said pressure. You could always reverse it so that it's bigger once it clears the bulkhead but my fear would be that you'll get noise.

That.

It used to be 1" straight on down but those old timey standpipes gurgled and flushed enough to make you want to go pee every 5 minutes :lol:

There's method behind the madness in going to the 1 1/4" with a hooked Durso style standpipe (or other modification.)

No matter what you do, you always want the drain line(s) to be a larger diameter than the returns.

Jenn

I have two Maggie Muffler's with 1 inch pvc all the way down to my sump. I have two Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0 return pumps and have to reduce the flow to get the gurgling to stop. My current thinking is I need to do 1 1/2" pipe down to the bulkhead and their reduce it to 1" pipe. The Maggie Mufflers support 1" and 1-1/2" pipe. I'm going to give that a try and will post the outcome.

Return plumbing is 1" to the bulkhead and 3/4" afterwared.

Changed the stand pipe from 1" to 1-1/2" and reduced it to 1" right before my 1" bulkhead. Surging went away with both pumps full throttle. The Maggie Muffler is slightly louder than the Durso stand pipes on my 120 but they also have more than double the throughput. When I say louder it is comparitively speaking, without a top I can hear them but they are not loud. From the front of my tank with the lid closed I can slightly hear water movement from water flowing into my overflows and returns slightly submerged beneath the water but not the Maggie Mufflers. It's very quiet.

Back