Oysters as filters in reef tank

ouling

Market
Reaction score
<span style="color: black;">Your opinion needed. </span>
<span style="color: black;">I can get a large amount of Oyster (origins unknown for now) that are still alive through my distributors. I am quite sure that they can survive in waters that are 78-82 degrees without problem since I saw them at Florida all the time. But can they do well in a reef tank with relatively low plankton levels?</span>
<span style="color: black;"> </span>
<span style="color: black;">I thank you for your well substantiated answer.</span>
<span style="color: black;"></span>
<span style="color: black;">:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: </span>

What are you hoping to accomplish? I dont see what the benefit would be. I assume you would want organisms that would uptake nutrient from the water column, not filter particulate matter, correct? For that, you would likely want a photosynthetic organism.

I tried a filter clam once and it failed miserably

I believe they require nutrient levels far higher than would be found in your tank to survive. And of course feeding them would defeat the purpose.

I have a flame scallop thats been alive for 6 months or so. (not really the same thing though).

I really don't see the point, unless you just wanted to keep them alive to eat later...fresh is best I suppose. I would think your skimmer will remove anything they would eat so if it were a separate tank I would run w/o...just guessing though.

If you're trying to get better water quality, I'd go for a better skimmer and a more frequent water change regimen. The oysters wouldn't fair well.

Back